Stihl 036 Air Filter (Circa 1996)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM-GUY

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Great site - been a lurker for awhile.

A little background first: I went shopping for a new air filter, had a tough time but finally got a local dealer to order one - it's the wrong one. E-mailed Stihl and they came back with part# 1125-120-1626 - on order now.

In my converation with the dealer, he said I shouldn't oil the filter. There is enough evap back through the carb to coat it. I checked the book, it says nothing about oiling. Don't know where I got the idea to oil.

I've been oiling the existing (flocked/fabric) filter since I got it. Saw runs strong and dependable - never been to the shop. This new filter will be the same type (new number I guess).

Does anyone here oil these filters?

I think oiling filters is only intended for filters such as K&N or certain foam types.

Standard filters work by using air passages so small they block most particulate.

Oiled filters work by using larger air passages and an electrostatically charged oil to attract the particles to the oil/filter as they pass through it.

Putting oil on a paper/flock filter may be doing nothing more than making a mess, reduce the effective filter area and set the mixture off.

Latest posts

Back