stihl 036 pro cylinder replacement?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnrcr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked up a used stihl 036 pro that didnt run, after some checking and a compression test, I found it to need a new cylinder and piston. I am wondering if I can put a larger cylinder on it, something like an 038 cylinder. Does anybody know if the bore in the case is large enough to take a bigger cylinder or do I need to stick with the stock bore? Thanks in advance.

hello, welcome to AS. I do not know of a larger cylinder bolting on to your stihl. I think first you should tare down your saw and see if you can clean up the scoring in your present cylinder. most of the saws I have worked on cleaned up fine. unless the saw was run with straight gas youve got a air leak or a problem with the saw to cause the siezed piston in the first place. It could be a cracked,broken fuel line. bad crank seals or other problem. Do a search for air leak to learn more. once that has been corrected replace the piston and rings and run the heck out of it.Its a fine saw as is. for questions like this you will get a quicker response and more of them if you ask these type of questions in the regular chainsaw section and not here. Good luck! Rick

I aleady tore the top end off of it, the scoring is pretty severe. It seems the source of the real problem besides the scoring is the fact that the rings melted into the pistons on the exhaust side of the piston. I work on harleys for a living and rarely see scoring this bad on high mileage rebuilds, maybe when I get back to work on monday I will try to post some pics of it. I was also under the impression that these cylinders ar nicasil coated? it apears that the scoring is thru the coating. thanks for the replies, I will try to post some pics later.

baileys just introduced a p/c kit for the 036/360 might wanna check that out..
i'm not sure if it has the compression release though ?? dunno if that matters to you >???

Latest posts

Back