Stihl 038 mag II ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New to the forum here. Wanted to know if I could get some help identifying a saw. I recently purchased an 038 and the cover says it is a 038 magnum II. I have been researching this site and everything I have read about the mag II says it has a three port muffler, but mine has a dual port. Makes me wonder if somebody switched the cover or something. The serial number is 118415976. Can anybody tell me if this is really a mag II?

New to the forum here. Wanted to know if I could get some help identifying a saw. I recently purchased an 038 and the cover says it is a 038 magnum II. I have been researching this site and everything I have read about the mag II says it has a three port muffler, but mine has a dual port. Makes me wonder if somebody switched the cover or something. The serial number is 118415976. Can anybody tell me if this is really a mag II?

Well, I can tell you that I can't tell you a damn thing about it! :)

But.....

Welcome to AS!

(Others more qualified to answer your question will be along soon)

The mag II I have right now has a dp cover.

I bought an 038 mag 2 new in 1988. Powerfull saw, only thing that sucks is the on/off/choke switch. Can't remember what the muffler looked like. Good saw for bucking, heavy but lots of torque.

No information comes up for that serial number, not surprising, most did not take the time to register their saws. Now days, dealers are suppose to do it for you...

As for what is it, measure the cylinder a Mag is 52mm standard is 50mm. I've seen Mag II's with dual and triple port mufflers.

Edit: I just took a look in the basement as I have 3 Mag II's down there...all three have DP mufflers.

Last edited:
i have asked these questions before on AS only to find that:
the only real difference between 038 mag and magII is the tri-port muffler on the magII.

Last edited:
Well 3 project 038 Mag II's. The one I have completed I'm not completely happy with. Here's a few of my project saws:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sorry, they ain't going anyplace, least for now :)

No information comes up for that serial number, not surprising, most did not take the time to register their saws. Now days, dealers are suppose to do it for you...

As for what is it, measure the cylinder a Mag is 52mm standard is 50mm. I've seen Mag II's with dual and triple port mufflers.

Edit: I just took a look in the basement as I have 3 Mag II's down there...all three have DP mufflers.

Thanks for the info...care to sell one of them...you don't really need three of em do ya?

I've owned a few 038 mags including a couple Mag II's and have never seen the triple port muffler. I have seen Lakeside53 say the Mag II's have triple ports. It may have been a regional thing, but I'm not sure. I have since sold all my 038's except an MS380 that I have kept and haven't fired yet. Regardless, imo all 038's, especially the mags and mag II's are excellent saws.

I've owned a few 038 mags including a couple Mag II's and have never seen the triple port muffler. I have seen Lakeside53 say the Mag II's have triple ports. It may have been a regional thing, but I'm not sure. I have since sold all my 038's except an MS380 that I have kept and haven't fired yet. Regardless, imo all 038's, especially the mags and mag II's are excellent saws.

+1 Brad.

But the triple port parts are listed on the IPL and I have seen the same on ebay. West coast/off shore option? You can still order the 3-port but it will be $$$$

P.S. Brad thanks for all the 038 parts they are happily being used, you are the best :clap::cheers::yourock::hmm3grin2orange:

P.P.S. If you need 026 OEM parts check the trading post, you cannot go wrong nor get a better deal

Last edited:
038 and parts

my 038 mag is made in brazil, was a great saw bu the chain side crank bearing gave in yesterdaycausing a lean seize. (BOO HOO). i have just ordered new engine from u.k.--aftermarket of course!

in aus, a genuine crank costs 700$us

a whole saw costs $1100us

doesw this mean that quality tools that suffer a major calamity are not worth repairing if aftermarket parts not available? seems sad:(

Latest posts

Back