Stihl 038 mag II ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my 038 mag is made in brazil, was a great saw bu the chain side crank bearing gave in yesterdaycausing a lean seize. (BOO HOO). i have just ordered new engine from u.k.--aftermarket of course!

in aus, a genuine crank costs 700$us

a whole saw costs $1100us
by engine you mean crank?
It'd be WAY cheaper in the US - or you can go second hand or NOS, like from cheapstihlsawparts on ebay.
doesw this mean that quality tools that suffer a major calamity are not worth repairing if aftermarket parts not available? seems sad:(

Cranks don't normally go, so you're not normally up for that - they're generally worth repairing if a dealer isn't charging labour for a case split

stihl 038 magnum parts

thanx for responding.
crank was the only part to survive. quote for all parts needed(barrell, piston, con rod, crank bearings, oil seals, gaskets was higher at cheapchainsaw, curt bailey than u.k. place. thought I may as well get crank in whole kit to match other compenents.

have you any experience of aftermarket parts?

have split the case myself- after i realised there were to locating dowels!

only stared at it for hours as to why it wouldn't split1:( i'm interested to see quality of am parts, and to try to re-assemble. any diagrams would be appreciated

interracting is far more fun than just watching(for a couple of years) i had to learn computers in order to learn chainsaw mechanics!

thanx for responding.
crank was the only part to survive. quote for all parts needed(barrell, piston, con rod, crank bearings, oil seals, gaskets was higher at cheapchainsaw, curt bailey than u.k. place. thought I may as well get crank in whole kit to match other compenents.

only stared at it for hours as to why it wouldn't split1:( i'm interested to see quality of am parts, and to try to re-assemble. any diagrams would be appreciated

interracting is far more fun than just watching(for a couple of years) i had to learn computers in order to learn chainsaw mechanics!

Tecomec cyl assy can be found cheap (100-160 USD) and are close to OEM quality.

I don't see how the crank can be saved if the rod is bad?

Lots of good used 038 cranks out there, all the lean seizes I've seen just trashed the top ends

Last edited:
Unfortunately, after hours trawling thru ebay, I could not find the parts. you,re right about the crank, prof- that survived. got whole lot for 250us$ and it seemed sensible to fit matching components.

anyway, Now I have a spare crank and rod!

by the way- to fit bearings in crank, and crank in bearings, is heat/cold really needed if you have a hydraulic press?

BIg thanx to Mike pa for help

This site is addictive! Well done to all involved

thanx for responding.

wow - I see what you mean by new engine! And now I see why you were quoted $700 for new OEM. Aftermarket may well be fine - people slag it off mostly without having tried it. I'm sure it'll be fine for as long as you need it. Let us know!

the 700us$ was just[/B for the crankshaft - local stihl dealer!

perhaps with aftermarket engine, I should use a higher oil mix? e.g.20:1

I just started another super to Mag conversion. Thought it was just a mild seize looking through the exhaust port. Got the jug off and turns out the bottom end bearings sent some "love" up through the cylinder/piston.

First time I've seen this on a 038. I've got a OEM donor crank but will have to fabricate the case splitter.

Anyway cost breakdown on my last conversion for a comparison:

Saw FREE!!!
OEM 52mm cyl assy (ebay) 160
Gasket set 15
20" RSC chain (ebay) 15
Air filter 20
impulse and fuel lines 10
rim sprocket 4
oil pump seals (ebay) 5
cleaning supplies 5
carbide cutters for muf mod 20
wrist pin bearing (ebay) 5
New bar studs/nuts 10
Labor to install crank seals 35

Total 304 USD

I was lucky as bar (20" ES) was used but after grinding back to square is fine and all other wear parts were fine. So looks used but runs like/better than new for ~ $300, all parts OEM

I'll start a new thread so as not to hijack this one for the next conversion project......

the 700us$ was just[/B for the crankshaft - local stihl dealer!

perhaps with aftermarket engine, I should use a higher oil mix? e.g.20:1

A member here sent me a box full of 038 parts, lots of good stuff, 52mm cylinder, working crank, fixable tank assy, misc parts and fasteners, Bing carb....

$50 God bless you!

Back