• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Stihl 038

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J3 Driver

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm thinking about staring to look for a Stihl 038. I'd really like to have one with the side tension adjustment. Open to offers if the right one comes along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good looking saw, with 130lbs of compression and the choke issue I'd consider to negotiate the price a bit. Most saws at 130 haven't run very smooth or have peak power at that for me. Unless the compression gauge is wrong I'd think it likely needs at least rings.

So how hard are rings to do. Just pull the cyl look for scoring and slap a new set on. I have a service manual coming for it as well.

Showed up today. Runs great. Will get the throttle lock fixed so it's a bit easier to start. I'm a happy guy.

A zip tie over the throttle trigger works good until you get the parts u need

Ordered a new master control and put it in today. Didn't seem to want to fix it. Have an old tank off of a friend 038 tank that has the trigger and lock. Will try that. If that doesn't work I'll take it to Cedar Grove and have them look at it.

Took it down to Cedar Grove. Needed a new master control switch. 12 bucks later I'm in business. Took the gentleman about 15 minutes to fix her up. Also got another bar and a few more chains.

Used it today for the first time. With a 20" bar it's great. :yes:

If it's anything like mine- it will pull a 25" with no issue whatsoever. Try one sometime for the bigger stuff- have fun!

Back