Stihl 038AV Super cylinder/piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason280

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Last year, I picked up an older 038AV Super that ended up with scoring on the exhaust side...

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...nd-refinishing-questions.330639/#post-6853519

I found out fairly quickly that finding a replacement 038 Super piston, at least an OEM or Meteor, wasn't exactly cheap or easy. So, I kind of shelved the project.

There's a local Stihl dealer, one that I drive past a half dozen times a week, so I finally stopped in to chat. Asked if I by some chance he had a piston, he came back with this...

20200225_155251_jpg-1291122.JPG

20200225_155302_jpg-1291123.JPG

20200225_155331_jpg-1291124.JPG

20200225_155318_jpg-1291125.JPG

...entire kit for $110. Not sure I need the cylinder, but hard to pass up for the price.

Before I go tearing into my saw once I get home, can someone run the numbers to make sure this is the correct kit? I just want to make sure it isn't for the Magnum, which I don't think will work with my saw. The dealer seemed to think they were the same, just bored differently with the appropriate piston, but i want to make sure.
Thanks!

That is used on the 038 M, 038 MR, 038 MRII, 038 MW and on the MS 380. You see it is a Magnum cylinder (52mm bore) and piston. The 038 S cylinder (50mm bore) is 1119 020 1201.

Sounds like you got a magnum top end. Really good purchase! Can't say for sure that it will work but I bet it does being that the 038 038s and 038 magnum are basically the same saws.

Going from memory, but it seems that I recall a 038 magnum 52mm piston and cylinder can be put on a 038 Super by expanding the cylinder mounting holes outward (on the cylinder, not the case)..

Case bolt pattern is narrower on the 038/038S than the 038M.

You need to slot the screw holes in the cylinder towards the bore. A 038S base gasket makes a good template for marking what needs to be removed. Make sure the bore will be centered on the case when bolted up.

You also need to grind away some material on the cylinder near where the screw heads seat. Not the flat surface where they seat, but the material towards the bore that prevents the screws from starting into the case properly/perpendicular. Otherwise the screws heads will contact that cylinder area when you try to start them into the case, screws will be at an angle, and the threads in the screw/case will cross thread. You can also chuck the screws in a drill/lathe and turn down the outside dia of the screw heads. The access holes in the cylinder fins for the T27 torx driver need to be opened up to be able to get the driver on the screw heads. A chain file will do this. I break the tang off an old file and chuck it in a drill to speed things up.

Early 038 cases may have to have some material ground off towards the clutch side to allow the wider 038M cylinder to seat. This is also true if putting a 038S cylinder on a 038 case (but case/cylinders have same bolt pattern). I did not have this problem using 038S cases, but check it.

The ex port is narrower on the 038/038S. You need to open up/match the muffler inlet to the ex port. A good time to polish the ex port, and also do a muffler mod. The mufflers came in single, dual, and triple port. The latter is rare.

The 038S Tillitson carb will work on the conversion (rebuild kits much cheaper too), it's the same size as the 038M Bing. The 038 Tillotson carb is smaller and should be avoided.

Mastermind also did the conversion with some of his port work.

I'm honestly not sure I want to go to that much trouble, even though it doesnt seem that bad....

Decisions, decisions!

I'm honestly not sure I want to go to that much trouble, even though it doesnt seem that bad....

Decisions, decisions!

PM me if you would buy that OEM 038M P/C and flip it to me for a reasonable profit.

I have a cleaned up 038S that I got for free.

I thought the saw might have been lean seized/straight gassed, but it ate a piece of bearing cage. I have a stash of OEM cranks.

It's waiting for a 038M conversion....... I want to use all OEM parts.

This one I might hotrod/woods port? Would do pictures for here......

Attachments

• 038StoMag.jpg
    038StoMag.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 17
  • all cleaned up.jpg
    all cleaned up.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 17
  • thejugreadytogo.jpg
    thejugreadytogo.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • pockedcrown1.jpg
    pockedcrown1.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 19
Let's say I did do the conversion, how would it compare with a Husqvarna 372XP, or even an older 268 (non XP) model?

Let's say I did do the conversion, how would it compare with a Husqvarna 372XP, or even an older 268 (non XP) model?
The 038M is a torquey saw. It’s not gonna run like a 372, but would hold its own to a 268 IMHO.

The 038’s are generally bulletproof, you just can’t kill them. The death knell to the model was the intro of the 044 which was lighter and more powerful with much better air filtration. But the 038 Mag’s have there place in the hearts of many.

A good buddy bought one new as his stumping saw in, I believe 1989-the catalogue he saved shows the 044 as a “new” offering. Those were the 10mm saws which had gotten a bad rap for snapping cranks. The tool place told him to go with the 038M at the time. His saw has gone through 8 bars, 8 spark plugs and nothing else is 21 years of commercial use on 50:1 and still pops on the 3rd pull. He spent over $1k on the saw at that time and will never part with it. He’s never even turned one of the carb screws.

038 Magnum, love mine but the 044`s have edged it out over the last 30 years but it still runs like the day I bought it, like the 028 they are as reliable as a hammer and still starts within 3 pulls over.

At the very least, I probably need to pull the jug and piston just to see how bad the scoring is. Part of me wants to convert it over to an 038M, but I'm not sure how much use I would get from it with a Husqvarna 266XP, 268, and 372XP already sitting in the shop. That being said, it would be a fun project...

Back