Stihl 038AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anchmike

Reaction score
I‘ve had this saw since I can’t remember when. I love(d) this saw but today it just wouldn’t start. After checking everything I found out it wasn’t getting a spark. It was a new spark plug last year with very few hours and looked clean. While taking it out the third time the plug cover came off!?
The spring clasping the plug was loose and was easily pulled out. It is just a bare wire that apparently is just pushed into an insulated wire. That’s cheap engineering, not what I would expect from Stihl. Anyway, I jury rigged it and got spark. I called the local Stihl dealer and they couldn’t find the 038AV in their system. They found something under an 038 mv(?) and I couldn’t find a serial number.
I’m afraid it might require tearing the saw apart to install a replacement. Any ideas on what to do? Where to find a part? How hard to install? Etc.

That setup has been used for many years. You should be able to reinsret the wire and get the cap back on proper .

IT IS A PITA!!! If the wire is bad it too can be replaced but you'll need to remove the coil

Many threads here on doing that.

That setup has been used for many years. You should be able to reinsret the wire and get the cap back on proper .

IT IS A PITA!!! If the wire is bad it too can be replaced but you'll need to remove the coil

Many threads here on doing that.
I tried inserting the wire back in and did get attached to the plug but is very likely to come off again from vibration. Inserting it is not easy. I'd prefer not having to remove or replace the coil as that would require tearing the saw apart and coils are not cheap.
I'm new on this forum. How do I search for the thread on how to do that?

I tried inserting the wire back in and did get attached to the plug but is very likely to come off again from vibration. Inserting it is not easy. I'd prefer not having to remove or replace the coil as that would require tearing the saw apart and coils are not cheap.
I'm new on this forum. How do I search for the thread on how to do that?
Sounds like mad professor has you covered. Removing the coil is pretty easy, it’s right under the recoil assembly.

I tried inserting the wire back in and did get attached to the plug but is very likely to come off again from vibration. Inserting it is not easy.
Take a pair of pliers and crip the "hook" of the spring into the side of the ignition wire. Now spray some silicon lube into the wire exit of the rubber plug boot. Line up the spring and wire and push it into the wire exit on the boot until the coil part of the spring seats in the boot. Easy peasy.

I‘ve had this saw since I can’t remember when. I love(d) this saw but today it just wouldn’t start. After checking everything I found out it wasn’t getting a spark. It was a new spark plug last year with very few hours and looked clean. While taking it out the third time the plug cover came off!?
The spring clasping the plug was loose and was easily pulled out. It is just a bare wire that apparently is just pushed into an insulated wire. That’s cheap engineering, not what I would expect from Stihl. Anyway, I jury rigged it and got spark. I called the local Stihl dealer and they couldn’t find the 038AV in their system. They found something under an 038 mv(?) and I couldn’t find a serial number.
I’m afraid it might require tearing the saw apart to install a replacement. Any ideas on what to do? Where to find a part? How hard to install? Etc.
This video has many good, helpful tips.
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/how-to-install-ignition-wire-barb-and-boot.367980/

The spring clasping the plug was loose and was easily pulled out. It is just a bare wire that apparently is just pushed into an insulated wire. That’s cheap engineering, not what I would expect from Stihl.
Many saws and trimmers use this method of connection. Freaked me out when I pulled my first one off on a customer's saw. A quick look on YouTube showed me how to easily get it back together...

How to easily fix a spark plug boot - davekennedy52

I have not shortened a wire like that. Usually if the wire is ok, I just make sure the angle that goes into the wire is angled a little past 90 degrees like a hook and press it into the wire with pliers like in the video. The main trick is to push the wire through first before you put on the spring and then pull in back through, again like in the video.

Latest posts

Back