Stihl 038M Starter Pawl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My starter pawl seems to shows a very loose fit in the aluminum rotor. I see two part numbers for the pawl.

How snug should it fit?
Why is there what seems to be a second location for a pawl on the rotor (my pawl fits very snugly in the second location)?
What's the deal with the two part numbers?

Thanks for looking.

Roy038M Pawl.jpg038M Pawl PN.jpg

I'd suggest picking up a spring for using two pawls.

1124 195 3500​

John

I expect the vast majority of my saw work will continue to with be done with my 036. If I end up using the 038 more than I think...I will go the two pawls.

But, due to the worn-out pocket I will probably need a new hub, too, if I go with two pawls.

Roy

If this one is the correct pawl for that rotor,
why not put the one pawl in the other hole and put the starter back on?

No reason that I can see. That is what I will do. My pawl even looks low-milage.

The IPL makes it look like the "wrong" pawl was associated with the older one-pocket rotor.

I have just done this about a month ago on my 039, For some reason in the manual it listed twin starter pawls for brazil only, I recently had one fail and thought going twin pawls would give me some redundancy, as listed above 1124 195 3500 is the spring you need plus an additional starter pawl itself, Was a 2 minute job just watch the new spring does not foul on the starter rope knot (I had to trim mine for correct action)

Just for kicks, buy the newer pawl, and see if it works better. It is pretty common.

Copy

I have just done this about a month ago on my 039, For some reason in the manual it listed twin starter pawls for brazil only, I recently had one fail and thought going twin pawls would give me some redundancy, as listed above 1124 195 3500 is the spring you need plus an additional starter pawl itself, Was a 2 minute job just watch the new spring does not foul on the starter rope knot (I had to trim mine for correct action)

Thanks.

Back