Stihl 039 hard pull after replacing low and high carb screws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything is possible with a ham fist and a big enough (wrong) screwdriver. Don't you know someone who could break an anvil? I can think of at least one.
Reminds me of an old friend that passed away a few years ago, I always said you could give him a couple feet of railroad track and in a couple weeks he would bring it back bent like a horseshoe and claim he didn’t do anything it just bent but he wanted me to fix it for free.

Quick thought. Is it strange that it is still hard to pull with the carburetor completely removed? That one stumps me.
Can you define "hard to pull" or post a video? Is there gas coming out of the muffler when it does this?

Since this is the largest displacement saw in its footprint it is going to be harder to pull than an 029/290.

Another thing to check is that the recoil pulley is not cracked and that the correct diameter OEM rope is used so that the rope isn't binding in the pulley.

Gut feeling on this is it's flooded or the crank bearings are shot. Flooded is easier to diag then the bearings so start there first. Flip it over and pull it over a few times with ignition off watching for fuel to come out.

Folks, in conclusion i gave up and brought to a shop. They said that everything was fine it just needed a little adjustment and fresh gas. I asked for specifics, and they said that the mechanic probably just adjusted the carb screws and put in fresh gas.

To my embarrasment, I'm not sure how I wasn't able to get it right myself, but there you have it. She runs like a champ. I ran her dry and stored her.

Folks, in conclusion i gave up and brought to a shop. They said that everything was fine it just needed a little adjustment and fresh gas. I asked for specifics, and they said that the mechanic probably just adjusted the carb screws and put in fresh gas.

To my embarrasment, I'm not sure how I wasn't able to get it right myself, but there you have it. She runs like a champ. I ran her dry and stored her.
Say what?

You took it in...and, it was unusually hard to pull over. Right?
And, the mechanic behind the curtain did some minor thing...and, it pulls over easier. Wow.

Roy

Latest posts

Back