Stihl 041 AV Tillotson Carb--Newb Needs Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jstroke

Reaction score
Greetings All,

New member, complete newb.

I inherited an 041 av. It does not have a chain brake, just a protective guard. It seems to be in pretty good shape, everything seems to be where it should and nothing is broken. I was told the saw has a brand new carb, and has been gone through. It starts, but it idles way too fast and it doesn't throttle up. It simply bogs out each time I blip the throttle. I haven't cut any wood yet. I have hunted for some answers but here are some questions.

If I am looking at the side of the saw with the carb settings facing me, I see three screws

The first screw is alone and is not a part of the carb. It sits to the left. It is physically a bigger diameter screw. It is near the outside of the saw body. There is a "cut out" for lack of a better term in the orange part of the saw body around it. It seems to possibly be an idle screw.

There are two screws--needles in the carb itself--one over the other vertically--very close together. They are smaller in diameter. They are much more under the top portion of the saw body and very much a part of the carb.

Which Screw is which--nothing is labeled

What are the initial settings for these three screws.

Thanks for the help

If u have never adjusted a carb don't!!!!!! find some that has and let them teach u!! also u might have a leak need to do a pressure and vacuum test

Yep, find someone that knows. Also, get into the chainsaw section of this site and you'll find a lot of good help and resources if you are interested in learning. That big screw is your idle speed. Cant really ruin your saw playin with that, but the 2 close together are the high/low mixture and you could burn up your saw playin with those. Sounds like you got an air leak on the intake boot maybe.

Wanted to say thanks

Found an old timer to help locally. I got it to "run". He is going to vacuum test it and put the tach on it. It cuts wood about like a pig at the moment.

Back