Stihl 041 farm boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtfireman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A few years ago we bought my FIL a 546xp to replace his dying 041 farm boss. It seems there was an 041 av model as well.. what separates the 2 nothing actually failed per se it kinda just gunked up and became troublesome. I don’t need it but thought it might make a cool winter basement project while the beer ferments.
is it worth any amount of trouble to repair?
is it possible to put AV components in it?
Am I correct that the farm boss did not have AV components And was a cheaper model? What separated the 2?

mmm likely the saw has no issues and it just needs a new carb kit by now.

... will definitely need a new tank fuel tube/filter by now.

Is AV really that important? Not sure I'd trade mine for an AV version.

A few years ago we bought my FIL a 546xp to replace his dying 041 farm boss. It seems there was an 041 av model as well.. what separates the 2 nothing actually failed per se it kinda just gunked up and became troublesome. I don’t need it but thought it might make a cool winter basement project while the beer ferments.
is it worth any amount of trouble to repair?
is it possible to put AV components in it?
Am I correct that the farm boss did not have AV components And was a cheaper model? What separated the 2?

Worth what you consider it to be to you, can be bought rather cheap as they are old dinosaurs and don`t bring a high dollar when sold.
AV cannot be swapped in to this saw.
You are correct, the FB was aimed at the farm and occasional user and sold at a lower priced model.
They are tough old saws and can be kept running almost forever with proper maintenance, thousands out there doing duty and likely 5 times as many sitting around gathering dust. Carb and intake gaskets known issues along with rotted out rubber parts of the fuel system.

Worth what you consider it to be to you, can be bought rather cheap as they are old dinosaurs and don`t bring a high dollar when sold.
AV cannot be swapped in to this saw.
You are correct, the FB was aimed at the farm and occasional user and sold at a lower priced model.
They are tough old saws and can be kept running almost forever with proper maintenance, thousands out there doing duty and likely 5 times as many sitting around gathering dust. Carb and intake gaskets known issues along with rotted out rubber parts of the fuel system.
Honestly im torn, i don’t like the thing but see no point in a non runner gathering dust.. if its a carb job and some fuel lines I guess its worth while. Weighs a ton, not very powerful and no chain brake. Otherwise id probably send it.

Honestly im torn, i don’t like the thing but see no point in a non runner gathering dust.. if its a carb job and some fuel lines I guess its worth while. Weighs a ton, not very powerful and no chain brake. Otherwise id probably send it.
I seem to have a problem, well others think I do. I just have to fix everything not working, saws especially, comes from my background growing up. I have repaired many 041`s of both flavors just because they are good durable machines that a few bucks and some of my off duty time can be made to go on cutting wood for so many more years. The saws I grew up with had no chainbrakes, does not bother me in the least, heavy all mag saws were the norm.

I seem to have a problem, well others think I do. I just have to fix everything not working, saws especially, comes from my background growing up. I have repaired many 041`s of both flavors just because they are good durable machines that a few bucks and some of my off duty time can be made to go on cutting wood for so many more years. The saws I grew up with had no chainbrakes, does not bother me in the least, heavy all mag saws were the norm.
Its that particular one im not thrilled with, i grew up with a pair of 031AV and an 042 AV, compared to them it feels like cutting wood with a cement block. But as you say, it did ok for years and would be handy to keep in the sap wagon in the spring or just in case for whatever else since it is here.

Ya I know, they are not the best saw ever but like we say they cut wood. To some its way better than what they currently have or had in their lifetime, its an improvement over a 30+ lb chainsaw from the 50`s. I have acquaintances that are cutting their firewood with saws much older than the 041`s, some will never give up on what they have.

Interesting description, the 041 requires the chain to be sharp and it's like cutting warm butter; saw does all the work. However, when the chain gets a bit dull it definitely takes a different style to use it.

If you don't bother to keep your chain(s) sharp and/or do not like filing - the old 041s are not for you.

Interesting description, the 041 requires the chain to be sharp and it's like cutting warm butter; saw does all the work. However, when the chain gets a bit dull it definitely takes a different style to use it.

If you don't bother to keep your chain(s) sharp and/or do not like filing - the old 041s are not for you.
I guess its the ergonomics im 6’2” 190lbs, i can handle the weight, just something about the shape of it i find displeasing. I wish i had my 042, had a bad coil, dealer said that it was too expensive and not worth while. I kept it but it was destroyed in 2011 in hurricane irene. With the internet what it is now im sure I could have easily revived it.

Latest posts

Back