Stihl 041 farm boss vs 038 mag II ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaneo318

Reaction score
Hi, first post to the site! Seems like a lot of useful info here. I have an early 041 farm boss that is becoming a money pit and not super dependable anymore. It was a gift from my dad who owned it for years, so I am not willing to part with it, but I'd like to pick up a comparable saw. I have used 044's in the past and they do everything I need them to. I cannot seem to find one locally at a good deal. I did find an 038 magnum II in my price range and statistically it is sort of comparable. Stats are stats, but I'd like the opinion of someone who has used both saws. I'm expecting the 038 to be a more "usable" saw. It's most likely lighter, faster and easier to use, not to mention the AV feature that my early 70's saw doesn't have. I'm more concerned with power and torque. Is this thing going to have the grunt that my 041 has? Thanks in advance.

In my experience an 038 mag will devour the 041. Weight wise they are similar.

The av won't numb your hands and they come with modern safety features like a chain brake.

Thanks for the info, I think I'll snag it up. Are there any common problems I should look out for on the 038 mag?

Bought it today. It's in even better shape than I expected. Compression tested at 160 psi before and after adding a few drops of oil. It has a 20 inch bar and an almost new chain. Got it from a farmer who got it from his dad. Didn't get a chance to put it to work though. Maybe tomorrow. Thanks for the info guys!

A 038 mag ll will spank an 041 super very hard. The 038 mag is pretty much a high speed modern saw where any version of an 041 is a slow antique. The super 041 has some torque, but even that is much less than
the 038 mag.

Latest posts

Back