Stihl 041 FarmBoss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
After eating my lunch, I finally beat this fookin' saw! It belongs to a good friend of mine, and came to me after the local Stihl Dealer hacked all over it. The local shop broke the flywheel key when they put the flywheel on - advancing the timing - causing the saw to rip the rope from your hands when you cranked it. Easy fix I thought - not so! Seems they broke more than they fixed!

So, for anyone that has a 041 that doesn't run to save its life, I would suggest the following.

Spend the $5 (google mowers4u) and buy a carb kit (not from Stihl as it is $23). Be sure to check and see which pump you need - one has a slot on the nipple, one doesn't. This slot engages a slot on the metering arm. Pumps with no slot have a shorter nipple. The slotted nipple is longer and will flood the saw if used in a carb with a standard, not slotted, metering arm.

Perform a vacuum and pressure test immediately. I found out my clutch side crank seals (there are 2 - an outer and inner) were leaking, as well as the o-ring on the oil pump adjustment screw. Turns out the dealer boogered up the seals they installed - shame on me for assuming they would be in top shape and not in need of replacement. Also, chances are the intake block is leaking somewhere in the stack-up of 3 gaskets. Order or make your own new gaskets. The lower gasket was leaking on my saw.

Unless you know the history of it, buy (or make) a NEW impulse hose and fuel hose (outside of tank). Also, buy a NEW fuel line...even if they look good in the tank, take them out, dry them, and then inspect closely...this was the last thing that caused my saw not to run. Fuel line looked brand new when wet...pulled out, dried out and inspected closely, revealed checking.

So, after waiting on parts 3 separate times, it runs sweet now. I guess it is partly my fault for not checking all these things right off the bat. Hopefully you can learn from my mistakes.

Josh

Good deal! I just went through my dad's 041. New carb kit, condensor and a thorough cleaning. Just a fun saw to use. Really talks with a 20" bar, especially buried.

I tuned in the wood and by checking plug color. The high side is only out about 3/4 turn, but any more and it looses power.

Just a fun saw to use. Really talks with a 20" bar, especially buried.

The 041 Farm Boss was the first saw I bought new & one of the first things I bought after graduating from high school & getting a job in 1976 . Stihl one of my favorite saws

Latest posts

Back