Stihl 041 Handle Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziechainsaw

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a early Stihl 041 I am doing a full restoration on and I am needing some advice on the hanble grip.

It has a hard plastice cover over it and I would like to try and remove the rubber/plastic cover so I can repaint everything, but I am concerned. I am very, very worried that I will damage or break something trying to force the plastic/rubber off the handle.

Has anyone every done this ? and if so can they pleaseeeeeee tell me how they did it without damaging anything.

I was thinking maybe soaking it in almost boiling hot water to soften it up and then work it off very slowly. But I am so worried about damaging something.

Cheers

Justin

Attachments

• 20211128_173634_resized.jpg
    20211128_173634_resized.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211128_173640_resized.jpg
    20211128_173640_resized.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 9
Yes, Those are very hard to work with and soften back to original condition. If you get in a jam and this is a resto build. I prolly have a new one but add shipping to your country and will more than likely go outta reach on price.

Yes, Those are very hard to work with and soften back to original condition. If you get in a jam and this is a resto build. I prolly have a new one but add shipping to your country and will more than likely go outta reach on price.
Hi TLG,

Yeah, this seems to be a sticking point. Obviously I can cut it off but getting another one is going to be hard.

This is a full restoration build. I have basically all the parts here now. I should have the bearings tomorrow and the seals by the end of the week.
I have the paint as well but I didn't even think of the handle assembly.

Surely someone on here has done a full restoration before and has had this same problem ?

Anyone ?

Justin

Latest posts

Back