Stihl 020 AVP Repair, help?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chainsaw Collectors

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Stihl 020 AVP from a member here. It doesn’t have spark so I want to try to bake the ignition coil. So I have to remove the recoil cover assembly to access the ignition coil. I got the 2 screws which were ridiculously tight and the 2 nuts off. But the assembly is still tight to the rest of the saw… I hear these saws are a nightmare to work on and such. Also the handle broke in a weird way. I have no experience with this type of handle so that confused me. Any tips would be greatly appreciate.

Attachments

• IMG_5705.jpeg
    IMG_5705.jpeg
    705.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Found another better YouTube video. I only have 1 screw left and it WON’T come out… Super tight. Sprayed with PBlaster a couple times in the last 24 hours. Should I buy an expensive can of that Kroil stuff just for situations like these where it may actually be necessary? Any tips?

Attachments

• IMG_5716.jpeg
    IMG_5716.jpeg
    702.1 KB · Views: 2
After a week of soaking with PBlaster the screw finally came out. Now I have these ones for the handle. The one is currently soaking with PBlaster. The 2 smaller ones I circled in red I don’t know if they need to come out.

Attachments

• IMG_5786.jpeg
    IMG_5786.jpeg
    828.3 KB · Views: 2

Good piece of gear. One of those tools that you don't realize that you need, and then when you have one, you wonder how you lived without it. I have one this size and one a bit smaller.

To the OP - ditch the PB Blaster. I prefer Kroil, but it is expensive and you have to order it. When I run out of Kroil, I used 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. Supposed to be just as good or better than Kroil, depending on what test you're looking at.

I've got a good-running 020AV Super top handle saw but these are my least favorite saws to work on.

IMG_7429.jpg

Good piece of gear. One of those tools that you don't realize that you need, and then when you have one, you wonder how you lived without it. I have one this size and one a bit smaller.

To the OP - ditch the PB Blaster. I prefer Kroil, but it is expensive and you have to order it. When I run out of Kroil, I used 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. Supposed to be just as good or better than Kroil, depending on what test you're looking at.

I've got a good-running 020AV Super top handle saw but these are my least favorite saws to work on.

View attachment 1141845
They suck to work on. The flathead screws are frozen or it needs new threads there.

I use a matco standard screwdriver that has the piece under the handle that you can attach a box end wrench to the shank of the screwdriver. I mount the saw or have someone hold it real tight! Lay my body weight down on the screwdriver and smack that wrench with impact! Those screwdrivers with that option have saved my bacon quite a few times. 😉

I got that screw on the handle out with that new screwdriver. The manual impact screwdriver is one of the best purchases I’ve ever made! Everything is all loosely goosey, but won’t totally come apart…

Attachments

• IMG_5860.jpeg
    IMG_5860.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Back