Stihl 041, points or electronic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm... Check the big round condensor (bottom left). If it's shorted or open (no charge capacity) then you might be able to repair the module. Also, meter the resistance on the two coils.

Last edited:
Hmmm... Check the big round condensor (bottom left). If it's shorted or open (no charge capacity) then you might be able to repair the module. Also, meter the resistance on the two coils.

Lake, I had to entertain a customer last night, but I will come back on this tomorrow...stay tuned..:pumpkin2:

thanks

I have found the correct service info... but.. can't post it today - got to go out tonight, and out I need to scan it.

Lake, I had to entertain a customer last night, but I will come back on this tomorrow...stay tuned..:pumpkin2:

thanks

I have a digital multimeter and had some difficulties finding good readings :dizzy: :

condensor : both 0,9 µF
HV Coil : 2,75 and 2,9 kOhm
LV Coil : 0,8 Ohm (???)
Charging coil (if that's what it is) : there I could not get a stable reading on both ignitions, don't know why though...

Looking forward to your findings..

Not that I have ever been aware of.

Belgian...try running a jumper wire from the stator plate screw to the case of the secondary coil.

You most likely have a bad or missing ground connection. (The AV requires a fairly heavy ground braid to electrically connect the isolated metal parts)

I assume you already tried removing the kill switch from the circuit.

Ok, found some energy this weekend to work again on those :censored: 041's...

Archie, I think you had a good idea about the groud issue.... I switched the "faulty" ignition into the parts saw, and it .....FIRED. So after all, I may have 2 ignitions that are working in one saw and both don't work in the other saw.....

Obviously, there's a ground issue with this one saw. I cleaned all the metal surfaces thoroughly but without result. Have anyone experienced this before ?

I will install the jumper wire as PES suggested, but any more tips are welcome.
thanks
roland

Look carefully at your flywheels - you may have cracked magnets. Did both work?

I'll have the service info posted in the next few days... my scanner is TU.:censored:

Last edited:
Stihl Bosch - initial version...

Here's the scanned and zipped pages from the Bosch service manual for the Stihl 41 ignition as initially released. I've not seen one of these in the USA...

Mixed formats in the .zip files.. Contrary to the "max file size" of 3.9M for a ZIP fiile.., you can't upload one larger then 2Meg...

Many of the parts are common to a lot of Bosch ignitions used in motorcycles of the same era. They will likely have spares, and you now have the part numbers!

I have same problems with my AV electronic. I think the thyristor module is broken. BOSCH 0 227 300 001. What kind of thyristor is in it?

Last edited:
Did the module come apart easily? Can you post a picture?

No! It was very difficult and slow to get parts out of there. There was one diode and one capacitor too for "power off" button.
When i get new parts, i can send pics and partlist with circuit.

@ Lakeside

Hey Andy, I got hold of a parts saw and was able to replace the electronic ignition with a points version (including flywheel), new HV lead and ...guess what ...she fired right up :blob2: Thanks again for all your help :cheers:

041AVasmall.jpg

Last edited:
having problems with a Stihl 041 with low hours. excellent compression, starts right up, but when it warms up, starts backfiring. sounds like a small popping noise. then doesn't want to run. when the saw is cold, it starts to act normal until it warms up, then starts to backfire.

could the ignition module be going out?

having problems with a Stihl 041 with low hours. excellent compression, starts right up, but when it warms up, starts backfiring. sounds like a small popping noise. then doesn't want to run. when the saw is cold, it starts to act normal until it warms up, then starts to backfire.

could the ignition module be going out?

Yes, you are correct. Good luck with it.

You may find a new/used module on Ebay. I don't think it will look exactly like the one Roland had earlier in this thread though. In any case, they are NLA from Stihl.

Bob

Latest posts

Back