Pawn Shop find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodbolt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,

Today I picked up an old Stihl 028 AV Super with serial number 213183761
The number under the handle is 1118 791 1005
Is there a tool on here to look that up? I can call my local dealer Monday. Just curious what that number can tell me about the saw.
Did all the 028's have points or did some come with electronic ignition? I can take it to work with me Monday and pull the flywheel and look things over.
Thanks

I just noticed that the top name plate also say Electronic Quickstop, so I wonder if that means that it does not have the points ignition.
The quickstop must refer to the chain brake?

Hello all,

Is there a tool on here to look that up? I can call my local dealer Monday. Just curious what that number can tell me about the saw.
Did all the 028's have points or did some come with electronic ignition? I can take it to work with me Monday and pull the flywheel and look things over.
Thanks
Supers are electronic…’86-

https://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView&Start=1&Count=1000&Expand=144#144

Hello all,

Thanks
I believe, but I am not sure, the number under the handle is the part number for the handle itself.

They were asking $200 but it would not start so I got it for $107 out the door, somewhat of a gamble I suppose. It's got a nice 16 inch Stihl bar on it. I checked the spark this morning and it looks good. I have not put a compression gauge in it yet but it feels ok and I'll check it with a gauge tomorrow. Anybody know approximatley how many pounds of compression it should have? I plan to pull off the muffler and look in there from both the exhaust port and intake and hopefully everything will look good. I can pressure test the crank case if necessary. I'll stop by the Stihl dealer tomorrow and get a fuel line, filter and carb kit for it. I figure thats a good place to start. I can't wait to bring this baby back to life.

Attachments

• image000000 (8).jpg
    image000000 (8).jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 0
They were asking $200 but it would not start so I got it for $107 out the door, somewhat of a gamble I suppose. It's got a nice 16 inch Stihl bar on it. I checked the spark this morning and it looks good. I have not put a compression gauge in it yet but it feels ok and I'll check it with a gauge tomorrow. Anybody know approximatley how many pounds of compression it should have? I plan to pull off the muffler and look in there from both the exhaust port and intake and hopefully everything will look good. I can pressure test the crank case if necessary. I'll stop by the Stihl dealer tomorrow and get a fuel line, filter and carb kit for it. I figure thats a good place to start. I can't wait to bring this baby back to life.
I would have offered $50 :p

Give it a squirt of 50:1 mixed gas into the carb throat and see if it will get a pop.

If it pops instead of checking compression just pull the muffler and see if the piston looks good. Compression tests can vary all over the place due the the person doing the test and the gauge type used.

If it don't give a promise pop check for a spark.

I am sure someone will chime in here in a second to tell you it should have no less than 180psi but realistically 150-175 would be good all things considered.
Experience has taught me under 135 psi gets harder to start and idle suffers, often folks start to adjust the carb leaner causing scoring , the 125-130 range does not idle and is hard to start even at full throttle. This is on horizontally mounted, vertically mounted over the cylinder can seem to operate ok down as low as 110-115 psi.

I don't know if they can shop to the United States and what it would cost but I just sent them a message.

Anybody know where I can find a rim sprocket conversion kit part number 1118 007 1003
Brad says he probably has them…somewhere…in a box, lol in a massive pile of boxes 🤣
couple places in Europe have them, most backordered. Haven’t checked the Oregon site…they have kits for other saws.

Latest posts

Back