Stihl 041 Super Troupleshooting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPA

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an 041 Super that idles good, but falls on its face when throttled.

A while back, I noticed that a Hong Kong company was copying the Tillotson carb and decided to give it a try. Well, since this one is giving me trouble (I have 2 041 supers), I thought maybe try the new carb on this one. After installation and various tuning settings, it does exactly the same thing.

So, I took the muffler off the second one, and put it on this saw and fired it up...same thing, exactly...no change in symptom at all.

So what's left? Can ignition cause this? fuel delivery issues (like maybe a clogged filter)? Anything else?

It sounds fuel related to me. I guess you've already tried richening it up a bit? Fuel line and filter definitely can cause this if they're partially clogged or if it has a bit of a vacuum leak in the engine. It's possible the ignition could cause it if the timings set way back but not as likely. I'd check out the fuel system first. Start by turning the L screw out about 1/4 turn and see if that helps. Set the H screw at factory specs, I think that's about 1 turn, not sure.

Latest posts

Back