stihl 041 super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calvin55267

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just picked this up for $120, came with a brand new chain(30" bar),
gave it a few pulls and it feels like its got some solid compression.
Going to try and get it running tomorrow, anything i should know about these old saw? did i do good? lol.STIHL 041 SUPER.jpg STIHL 041 SUPER2.jpg

I just think that a 24'' is just about right and a 30'' is too long, but if you are happy with it that way then go cut some thing. Mine has cut hundreds of cords and still runs great, but think it needs at least a new top end. Thanks

I just think that a 24'' is just about right and a 30'' is too long, but if you are happy with it that way then go cut some thing. Mine has cut hundreds of cords and still runs great, but think it needs at least a new top end. Thanks

yeah, i was actually thinking about one of stihl 25" lite bars. thou i am going to port/polish it, so i might try the 30" in some doug fir lol.

Before you spend monies on it I would do a compression check.I would be happy with a 20 BC combo, as that is what I have on mine. My 041 has around 125 psi, but still pulls the 20 inch bar.Check all fasteners as they have a tendency to vibrate loose.

Before you spend monies on it I would do a compression check.I would be happy with a 20 BC combo, as that is what I have on mine. My 041 has around 125 psi, but still pulls the 20 inch bar.Check all fasteners as they have a tendency to vibrate loose.

mines got about 165psi, but i plan on bumping that up and do some porting.

That's a "Super". I don't think HP rating is posted, but they have a 4mm larger piston. The ones I've built are noticeably stronger than the regular 041.
You did OK.
They pull 24" bars great, but 30" is pushing it. That looks like full skip chain, which helps though.
They are torque makers. Long stroke.
If you need a piston, Cross performance started making a decent replacement with premium Caber brand rings.
Just be wary when rebuilding, the intake, muffler and corresponding gaskets are different than an ordinary 041. Plus they are near nonexistant.

That's a "Super". I don't think HP rating is posted, but they have a 4mm larger piston. The ones I've built are noticeably stronger than the regular 041.
You did OK.
They pull 24" bars great, 30" is pushing it.
They are torque makers. Long stroke.
If you need a piston, Cross performance started making a decent replacement with premium Caber brand rings.
Just be wary when rebuilding, the intake, muffler and corresponding gaskets are different than an ordinary 041. Plus they are near nonexistant.

TY! i was actually already looking at the cross pistons in case it needed one. and ive noticed the lack of parts availability, but hopefully it wont need it wont need much past a carb kit to get it running.

A regular one fits just fine.
It fits just fine if you are doing a "hack" job.
I restored an 041 super about 10 years ago, and encountered these exact issues.
A regular 041 muffler and gasket will bolt up, but you'll be restricting airflow, bigtime. The super's muffler has a noticeably larger port and pipe.
Same thing with the intake block and gasket.
It would be similar to putting a restrictor plate on a car engine.
The cylinder base gasket is larger on it's inner diameter slightly, and has long 5m studs that go all the way through the cylinder instead of just 5m screws.
The Stihl part numbers are different for these parts because they are different.
A 4mm bore increase is a lot in a chainsaw, and could add a around a horsepower to it's power output.
To benefit from the significantly increased displacement, they increased the sizes of intake and exhaust.

Latest posts

Back