Stihl 041 timing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Row

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to reset timing on a 1974 041. I have the service manual. but the tools used in this description are no longer available (or at least I could find no source except from an England dealer. Anyone have a way to set the timing on this saw using available tools?

You cannot access the points through the windows in the flywheel?
Yes, I even got an old 3 hole flywheel to make it easier, so the points should be good. I was looking to make sure of the 2.4 to 2.6 mm before TDC as noted in the service manual. I have spark, but no start. Had problem with kickback, trying to fix that. I was thinking that there may be an alternative way to set the timing.

I built a 041 basket case yesterday. I used the timing mark on the case and flywheel with an ohmeter. Connect one lead of the ohnmeter to the kill switch wire and the other to the block. Turn the flywheel CW until the mark on the flywheel is past the mark on the case. Slowly turn the flywheel CCW until the ohm reading jumps to open. Check to see if the line on the flywheel lines up to the line on the case. If not adjust the ignition by loosening the two screws and rotating the plate the points are on. Repeat until the lines are aligned when the resistance reading jumps to open when the flywheel is very slowly rotated CCW.

When I rotated the flywheel I went very, very slowly CCW and watched the multimeter the whole time. I stopped when the reading changed. I did this three times to be sure I had if right. I put the saw together and it fired right up.

Latest posts

Back