Stihl 041 trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dewclaw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My 041 is getting chain oil into the combustion chamber / out of the exhaust.

I guess that a small portion of combustion gas is routed into the oil reservoir to 'push' the oil into the pump inlet ?

If so , is there a check ball to keep the oil from going from the reservoir into the crankcase ? If there is a check ball or ? where is it located.

If not , what keeps the oil out of there ?

Am I on the right track ?

Dew

Good theory :clap: , but it's a gear driven pump, and the pump piston is actually INSIDE the crankcase... and driven from a worm on the crankshaft

You likely just need a new rubber gasket ring ( 1110 647 9000) at near the top of the pump... and maybe also the small o-ring (9646 945 0340) on the piston shaft.

Last edited:
That makes sense , I had pulled the pump out , looked Ok but the rubber is probably getting sloppy.

The saw sat for a long LONG while so that makes sense. Just trying to bring 'er back to life.

Boy, part numbers and all ! I will call 'em in tomorrow !

Thanks Bro...

Dew

Last edited:
Those old laydowns were notorious for that. After you repair the pump, flush the heck out of the crankcase with gas and wear good gloves while trying to start it. It will hydraulic a few times and rip the handle out of your fingers. Believe me, it hurts.

Thanks again Lake , ordered th eparts today , should be here in a week .

Yea Canguy, I got a busted knuckle from it hydraulicin' on me .

Im actually repairin it for my neighbor. I owe him for the wood stove he donated for my cabin out in the back woods of northern california. Its the least I can do .

This internet has made me lazy , keeps me from thinking too awful much.
It used to be that I would think about the problem , scratch my head, take it all apart, find the problem and fix it .

Now I take it half way apart , get lazy , then ask some fellers on the computer , I almost always get an answer .

Like I said , its makin me lazy . This inernet always amazes me .

i have to say I have helped many a dude or dudette on the internet with one thing or another. Mostly hunting and fishing stuff. Where to go , what to do .

It all comes back around . Help thy neighbor !! Always . Now my neighbors are in BC and WA.

Beleive me , all us Kalifornians arent all bad . I am 6th generation Californian ( from way back in the gold rush times ) I cant speak for all the newcomers here.

Dew.:greenchainsaw:

Back