Stihl 041

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pictures of my 041. It was purchased new in 1972 or thereabouts. This is the second version of the 041, when they went with the newer intake and high air filter cover. The first version looked exactly like the 040, and the third version was called Farm Boss, and had a metal tag on the top of the filter cover instead of the embossed lettering.

Bob

Last edited:
I think the pics worked, but don't show up without clicking on them. This is my first attempt at doing pictures, so I don't know how to fix it. Sorry

Bob

Nice saw!

attachment.php

There are several ways to post photo's, here's one method:

Right click on the photo
Click on View image info
Copy location url
Click on yellow photo box in tool bar
insertimage.gif

Paste in url

I always click Preview Post at the bottom to see if it worked

Here are a couple of pictures of my 041. It was purchased new in 1972 or thereabouts. This is the second version of the 041, when they went with the newer intake and high air filter cover. The first version looked exactly like the 040, and the third version was called Farm Boss, and had a metal tag on the top of the filter cover instead of the embossed lettering.

Bob

Great looking Stihl for sure. Look down in my signature and there is a post to assist you with pictures.

There are several ways to post photo's, here's one method:

Right click on the photo
Click on View image info
Copy location url
Click on yellow photo box in tool bar
insertimage.gif

Paste in url

I always click Preview Post at the bottom to see if it worked

I have found that when you click on the yellow photo box It brings up the box with http in it. I have to remove that because http is already in the photos title. :dizzy:

I have found that when you click on the yellow photo box It brings up the box with http in it. I have to remove that because http is already in the photos title. :dizzy:

Thanks to you all,,,,,,,I did it like in the tutorial and it didn't work, and then I saw your post Rookie1 and I saw two http like you said, and now it works!!!!

Now I wish I had more pics to post so I don't forget how to do it. Haha!

Bob

Nice job Bob. Nice saw too. I was looking for the thread that Parris had on 041s. My BIL has a late model Farmboss. He got it in 1987 and Im guessing that was near the end for them. Ive used it a few times and other than the weight I like it.:rock:

Nice job Bob. Nice saw too. I was looking for the thread that Parris had on 041s. My BIL has a late model Farmboss. He got it in 1987 and Im guessing that was near the end for them. Ive used it a few times and other than the weight I like it.:rock:

Is your brother's saw an 041AV? I am not sure, but I think they were calling them Farm Boss in the end of the run for 041's. The first Farm Boss looks exactly like the one in my picks, except that the name on mine is molded into the air filter cover, and the actual Farm Bosses had the metal plate riveted on. Mine is not an AV model of course.

This particular saw hasn't really hasn't seen much use, as it is still wearing the original hard nosed bar. It is near the end of it's useful life and I really should get a sprocket nose bar for it.

I hadn't used this saw for about five years, as I keep it here where I live, and don't burn wood. I would, but my lot is so small, that I would have a hard time finding room to make a wood pile. Haha!

So, I went out to the shed and got her out, and tried to start, but nope. I needed to get a carb kit, so I did, and installed new gas line and she fired right off as if new.

Then i cleaned her up the best I could. It has a bit of paint missing, but I don't think it's bad enough to repaint. I kind of like it like it is,,,,,just shows a little age.

I will take it up North when i go up next to cut wood for my Dad. I need to compare it to my Dad's Husky 61 rancher, and the new MS260.

Bob

attachment.php

I have been looking over EBAY offerings regarding the 041 Stihl and would like to caution everyone to make absolutely sure that what you need resembles the EBAY picture EXACTLY!!!!!! Check the picture, and don't trust the seller to be correct in their description!!

The good old 041 series had several modifications over it's lifetime.

If you need a piston and cylinder, you need to view the picture on EBAY with a critical eye as there were several versions of pistons and cylinders.

The intake and exhaust were changed at least once. They were not interchangeable. If you need a particular intake setup and you get another, you are "out of luck".

You are not guaranteed of getting parts that will fit your saw unless you visually check it out. The chain cover and starters/gas tanks had several versions too, so be ware.

Here is another problem that you may encounter if you are looking for a sprocket for the 041 on EBAY. The early 040 and 041 used a shorter sprocket than the 041 in my pictures and the 041AV after that period. They are NOT interchangeable.

I am pretty sure that there are not many early sprockets on EBAY, but you never know!

Bob

Last edited:
If you look at the front handle in the pic above, the handle is not bare, but covered by a plastic tube. I was in the process of finding a carb kit for the saw at our local NAPA store and mentioned that I needed a rubber handle covering "hose" as that is what was used on the new saws years ago.

Most 041 saws you find these days have the hose covering missing as it rotted away pretty fast, and most of them have bare handles or handles covered by black electrical tape. I didn't know what I would find, but tried some 3/4" heater hose, but the bare handle is about .800" and the heater hose was too small.

So then I asked about electrical plastic "shrink tubing". It turned out that they had 1.1" diameter shrink tube 9.5" long,,and I took one of those.

It was hard to get it around the bend of the handle, but I persisted. When I got it far enough around the handle it had kinked an awful lot, and the inside of the bend was really bunched up upon itself. I thought that this was never going to work, but I applied the flame from a propane torch very carefully, and wouldn't you know, that darn shrink tubing formed it's way right around the handle. In the end it was a perfect solution.

It is not tacky, but kind of smooth like plastic, but I am happy with it.

Bob

Last edited:
HomeliteJim,,,,Yes the shrink tube works slick,,,,try it. The 9.5 in tube cost me almost $7.00, but I was curious, and there isn't a Stihl dealer in many miles from where I live out here in the BOONIES! I am happy I did it, and it will not rot away in my lifetime,,,,I garontee! haha!

To Trigger-Time,,,,I kind of figured that Stihl must have had something that would work, but I don't have a dealer here. Are you a Stihl dealer? Forgive me as I am a relative newby here on AS.

I really want to keep this 041 going so I can hand it off to my son,,,,,WAY in the future. I will be looking for crank seals, oiler parts, and things like that to stockpile for the inevitable time that they go bad.

The 041 is just too good of a saw to let rot to death!!!

Bob

Last edited:
HomeliteJim,,,,Yes the shrink tube works slick,,,,try it. The 9.5 in tube cost me almost $7.00, but I was curious, and there isn't a Stihl dealer in many miles from where I live out here in the BOONIES! I am happy I did it, and it will not rot away in my lifetime,,,,I garontee! haha!

To Trigger-Time,,,,I kind of figured that Stihl must have had something that would work, but I don't have a dealer here. Are you a Stihl dealer? Forgive me as I am a relative newby here on AS.

I really want to keep this 041 going so I can hand it off to my son,,,,,WAY in the future. I will be looking for crank seals, oiler parts, and things like that to stockpile for the inevitable time that they go bad.

The 041 is just too good of a saw to let rot to death!!!

Bob

Am not a dealer, sad news is Stihl has been dropping many of the older
saws parts.

TT

Bob

I guess I don't follow Bob. There were many versions of the 041. The Farm Boss was just a fancy marketing name.
The first gen 041 was just a 040.
The second gen 041 had some updates mechanically and also brought AV, Electronic and Quickstop versions with the embossed covers.
The third gen saws had the name plate, and as far as I know the regular non-AV version became the base model Farmboss. There were also a Farmboss AV. Then there was the 041 Super AV Electronic with Quickstop, try saying that five times fast!

I have never figured out what the deal was with the covers.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I guess I don't follow Bob. There were many versions of the 041. The Farm Boss was just a fancy marketing name.
The first gen 041 was just a 040.
The second gen 041 had some updates mechanically and also brought AV, Electronic and Quickstop versions with the embossed covers.
The third gen saws had the name plate, and as far as I know the regular non-AV version became the base model Farmboss. There were also a Farmboss AV. Then there was the 041 Super AV Electronic with Quickstop, try saying that five times fast!

I have never figured out what the deal was with the covers.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hi there JJ

I think you probably know more about the 041 than I do.
I will try to say as much as I know about the series here.

The first small lightweight saw offered by Stihl that came out with a horizontal cylinder was of course the 040.

In my opinion, the 040 Stihl set the bar for chainsaw performance in thie 60cc category.

It was never offered in an Antivibration model, but it was the Father of the series of later 041's none the less. The 040 had a 44mm diameter piston with a 40mm stroke and that stayed the same throughout the 040/041 series, except for the 041AVS, which had a larger piston and therefore larger displacement.

It is a matter of fact that there have been many chainsaws offered by Stihl as well as others that have used the basic 44mm piston diameter in their design. Some others that come quickly to mind are the 031 and 026 Stihl models. However, I do not know of ANY model of chainsaw using this diameter of piston that uses the 40mm stroke length that the 040 and 041 used. The lenght of stroke made the 040/041 the leader in this displacement category because of the high torque that it produced. I have to wonder if Stihl could have used the 041 displacement in a vertical cylinder configuration and made it about the same weight as the 026. The added weight of the rod, crankshaft, and flywheel would be hard to overcome in producing a lighter weight saw though. I guess if they could have done it and still made the saw reliable and trouble free they would have.

As far as the versions of this series, here is how I see it.

040:
It was a powerful, snappy, powerplant in a 16 pound saw unlike anything Stihl produced previously. The connecting rod was flawed as it had needle bearings on the big end that were replaceable. They did not last. Also, the carburetor impulse came up through the intake and had no independent impulse line. It was problematic.

041 first generation:
Looked exactly like the 040, except a different kill switch, reinforced connecting rod, and carburetion with an independent impulse line. Also the Antivibration version was first offered.

041 second generation:
The intake was changed from what it was before, eliminating the "carburetor box" and as a result changed the elevation of the air filter. This made the 'High" air filter necessary. The "molded" air filter resulted from this. Before that they used a flat air filter. Also the gas tank was changed to become more rounded and the air passages for engine cooling were changed from "slots" to a "waffle" design. The length of the drive sprocket was increased.

041 Farm Boss: Basically unchanged except for the name plate on the air filter cover. As far as I know, the 041 Farm Boss always had the points ignition, but I may be wrong.

The 041AV had more changes including points or electronic ignition in at least two different configurations. The visual differences included at least three different air filter versions.

Gee, I think I typed enough for tonight. If anyone sees anything wrong with my summation of this series of Stihl saws, let me know, because I certainly am not proclaiming to be the "last authority".

Bob

Latest posts

Back