Stihl 041

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also 041AVS :)

attachment.php

TT

I'd rep you, but I'm out! It's stunning all the variations of 041 there were. Just the little stuff like the front hand guard, I've counted 4. I have two in the barn, one my Dad bought new in 1977 and another recently picked up at a dealer. Both saws are third gens, but the 77 has a different front hand guard, so I believe the other is newer, but can't confirm it.

From what I have noticed the Non-AV saws had the cover like yours, this went for the third gens as well. Apparently the whole cover on the AV saws had to be suspended with the front and rear handle and this would explain two different designs. You have probably noticed the same in regards to the muffler guard/clutch cover, Non-AV is one peice, AV is two piece. You may know better, were there two different filters? Or did the Farmboss and Non-AV saws use the same ones?

I've have never seen a Farmboss Electronic, or a Quickstop version. I don't think they had adjustable oilers either. I could be wrong about the Quickstop version.

They may be 30+ years in age, but I still like to run them. Dad and I weighed the 041 AV with a 20'' b/c and full fluids and if I remember it was right around 23 lbs. Oddly enough the 038 Mag was not much lighter if any. I doubt modern 60cc saws are much lighter, not by 5 lbs. anyway. I've run the 084 and then picked up the 041 and it's like getting pardoned on a life sentence! JJuday

Now all you need is an Electronic with Quickstop and I'd really be jealous!
And I don't even care about those other Stihls in the picture or that Huskamahoooza thing on the floor!

It is Electronic as I think all AV are, it's in finer print under Super.
Plus I have had it torn down, she also has NOS Super PC kit.

PS, you just don't know what a good saw is, do you :)

TT

I'd rep you, but I'm out! It's stunning all the variations of 041 there were. Just the little stuff like the front hand guard, I've counted 4. I have two in the barn, one my Dad bought new in 1977 and another recently picked up at a dealer. Both saws are third gens, but the 77 has a different front hand guard, so I believe the other is newer, but can't confirm it.

From what I have noticed the Non-AV saws had the cover like yours, this went for the third gens as well. Apparently the whole cover on the AV saws had to be suspended with the front and rear handle and this would explain two different designs. You have probably noticed the same in regards to the muffler guard/clutch cover, Non-AV is one peice, AV is two piece. You may know better, were there two different filters? Or did the Farmboss and Non-AV saws use the same ones?

I've have never seen a Farmboss Electronic, or a Quickstop version. I don't think they had adjustable oilers either. I could be wrong about the Quickstop version.

They may be 30+ years in age, but I still like to run them. Dad and I weighed the 041 AV with a 20'' b/c and full fluids and if I remember it was right around 23 lbs. Oddly enough the 038 Mag was not much lighter if any. I doubt modern 60cc saws are much lighter, not by 5 lbs. anyway. I've run the 084 and then picked up the 041 and it's like getting pardoned on a life sentence! JJuday

The hand guards came along after my 041 was built. Yes, I remember seeing some black ones and some that were whitish. If someone knew the date that hand guards were introduced it would help to date the saw.

There was never any model that did not have the adjustable oiler as far as I know. The red knob that is to the right of the carburetor and a little forward is the adjustment. The only difference between the 041AV and the solid or Farm Boss version was the AV system. The quality of build was exactly the same. The 041AV was more expensive than the FB solely due to the AV system. I believe the AV sold for something like $300 in the early seventies. I think my Dad paid $230 when he bought the solid handle one I now have. He didn't want to shell out for the AV. Remember that the Homies and Macks all were solid at that time as well. Dad regarded the AV similar to power steering on a truck; he didn't want it. Our 1970 Ford 4X4 F100 was standard transmission, hubs that you turned, no radio, no air, no power brakes, no power steering. And it had a gutless 360 in it. Haha!

About the air filters. I believe that there were only two air filters for the 041. They both look very similar, but the 040/early 041 solid handly/and 041AV had a flat filter. When they did away with the carb box the filter became molded with a hump in the middle. I know that the same "domed" design was used on the solid handle as well as the AV version. However, the fiter just "may" have been changed on the later AV model, but I do not know. The filters that I see on EBAY are almost always the domed version.

The early 041AV did have points. I know this for certain. We sold lots of them and they were a good saw. Then they came out with the electronic version with the rounded air filter cover with the word "electronic" molded right under the name. The first AVE models were somewhat unreliable for a time, but the electronic module was either changed of improved on later saws.

I was out of the know after 1975 as I went to college and that is the end of my knowlege on all saws until I got here on AS last year. Boy, what I have learned or re-learned about saws in one years time. I didn't know anything about any of the new saws when I got here, but now I know all the saw numbers, and I believe I can talk intelligently about most of them.

Bob

Last edited:
89645BF6-2788-49A1-BDD3-C94C77A1683E.jpeg 46C05920-907A-4F0D-9A2B-34F123730CE1.jpeg 05836C57-9E1C-4C5B-815C-E89D64D74EBA.jpeg
Got a habit of reviving old threads but who cares?....

Managed to pick up an 041 for £30 as the owner said it was seized. To our joy it wasn’t.
Spent today cleaning it up, have a look tell me what you think.
Was seriously impressed when I put it through some logs.

Latest posts

Back