Stihl 044 10 mm - piston and cylinder thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudfly

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,

Looking for some opinions. I bought an early 044 a couple of years ago. It was an impulse buy. Didn’t need it, but well you guys know how it is. Anyway, the saw sat longer than I intended and I’m finally getting around to it. It runs ok, but I wasn’t satisfied so I decided to take a look at the piston. It doesn’t look scored but it definitely looks used through the exhaust port.
I’m trying to decide if I should just put new rings in and run it or if I should put a new Meteor piston in it while I have it opened up?

also going to replace fuel and impulse line while in in there. Thinking about doing crank seals as well.

it’s not a show queen, just want a good reliable runner.

I will add, I believe this saw to be all OEM at this point. It definitely has an OEM slant fin cylinder.

Agree with post 3. I would not put any aftermarket parts on the saw. oem is your best bet all the way.
I’ll get it pulled down in the next few days. Are there still OEM pistons available for a 10 mm 044? What does one of those run?
I suspect the jug is fine. But I will see what it looks like when it’s apart.

Well opened up and better light. Here is the results.

6FD0C267-B37F-497F-8340-CFCD66BFF442.jpegB35F26D6-7EBC-4E1B-B826-0D3348196E9C.jpegA3C550F1-3267-4E0B-ABA7-FCC5F4D03FFD.jpeg20ECE4E4-584D-4FDE-AA21-EDC4D669C8A2.jpeg
To me it looks like a new piston and try to clean up the jug, but others may have other opinions. Thoughts?

Well opened up and better light. Here is the results.

View attachment 976791View attachment 976792View attachment 976793View attachment 976794
To me it looks like a new piston and try to clean up the jug, but others may have other opinions. Thoughts?
I just restored an 044 and I am restoring another. You can get every part from dealer except the slant fin cylinder which is NLA. I bought a 10mm piston 1128 030-2000 for $60 and some change. The 2nd. piston is on backorder.From the looks of cylinder I would sand the cylinder to clean it up. Be careful around port edges when sandind. Then get you a scotch-brite pad to finish up. Take a dowel and saw down about 2 to 3 inches to slide san paper in the slit and put in drill to sand and you can just wrap the scotch brite around dowel to clean up.

I just restored an 044 and I am restoring another. You can get every part from dealer except the slant fin cylinder which is NLA. I bought a 10mm piston 1128 030-2000 for $60 and some change. The 2nd. piston is on backorder.From the looks of cylinder I would sand the cylinder to clean it up. Be careful around port edges when sandind. Then get you a scotch-brite pad to finish up. Take a dowel and saw down about 2 to 3 inches to slide san paper in the slit and put in drill to sand and you can just wrap the scotch brite around dowel to clean up.
How much better will an OEM piston run than say a Meteor piston?
I understand the cynlinder would be way different, but I wouldn’t think the piston would be that much different. If the rest of the saw was in better shape or if I intended to sell it, OEM might be the way to go. Just not sure in this one.

How thick are the rings on the piston thats in it? I dont remember mine looking that thick?
My piston was totally wiped and I wanted to replace it, I used a meteor piston and it's performing well.
I was able to save the original cylinder with about 6 hours of hand work.

How thick are the rings on the piston thats in it? I dont remember mine looking that thick?
My piston was totally wiped and I wanted to replace it, I used a meteor piston and it's performing well.
I was able to save the original cylinder with about 6 hours of hand work.
I measured the rings at just under 0.050” (0.046 - 0.048”). Or just under 1.2 mm.

So do we know what caused the damage in the first place?
Just pulled the clutch. Its ugly on that side. Need to soak the oil pump in degreaser first before I can pull it to the seal. That is suspect though.

I don't have the history on it. Bought it from someone on here awhile ago, should have done a little more digging. I only have about 2 tanks thru it myself. The tune was WAY off when I got it, took me almost a tank to get it close and then never was satisfied with it. Let it sit for another year and finally getting to it.
So I think either poor fuel and maintenance, overheated, or crank seals, but I'm going to try to make it right again.

Back