• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Stihl 044 10mm KS cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it a KS cylinder? Any chance you could pull off the top cover and investigate?

I can add a 20" or 24" bar and chain (new aftermarket) for $50. Woodland Pro bar with 3/8 x .050 chisel. If someone wants some other combination like just a chain or whatever, let me know. In person pick ups are welcome and I have logs on site for testing.

It has the early recoil with the rivot tag ,and small 036 type chainbrake bolts and early air filter setup ,i bet it is the ks jug ,the black kill switch is normally red in the early ones though ,maybe it has been swapped out .The gas caps are even the old type .

Really nice saw, i have one that is my go to saw or I'd be lookin to get this one, everyone needs one of these in the shed. Its also the fav of my buddy who is an arborist (went from 038M to 10mm 044), even though the rest of his crew usually use the 460 instead. Pretty early serial number and nice riveted made in West Germany tag, no intellicarb, and screw-down for air filter cover is the earlier version. Not sure about the color masterswitch since i had red ones on early 12mm and black ones on older 10mm too. Feel a little lighter than the later 044/MS440. Tough to beat the sound these saws make! Worth every bit of $500.

That right there is everything you want to see in an early 044 folks early serial number, early caps, early metal tag, nice recoil tag early riveted, original crank in nice shape, early cylinder markings in the slant fin KS jug and for you numismatists, that double die obverse marking on top "A over A with third ring shadow" probably triples the price of the cylinder in this grade.
Wow I collect too much cool stuff
Nice saw, wish I was willing to lie to my wife about how many 044s were in the garage already.
Dave

Oh no! Seller's remorse is setting in. Well, as previously stated, I want to keep an 044 and it doesn't really matter to me which one. I don't collect saws, just accumulate them. I've cut with both 044's side by side and there really wasn't a noticeable (to me) difference between them. I didn't use a stop watch, they just felt similar. I'd probably just sell them both and keep the 440 but I still cannot tolerate flippy caps no matter how hard I try. So that one is going down the road for sure...

Back