• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Stihl 044 12mm - Runs Great! Needs TLC and a new home

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rynosawr

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello All,

This is a 12mm 044, confirmed by a Stihl Pro.

This would be an easy fix for someone handy with Magnesium welding.... . heck, I could probably use some of that Steel putty and it would hold just fine.

It looks like the bottom spike mount bolt hole is stripped out so it would need a heli-coil or tapped to a bigger size and the top hole might be fixed by upsizing the bolt size as well even.

There is a little bit of metal broke off by the oil tank filler neck, but the case is not cracked there. The clutch/bar cover is cracked but could be used if repaired with weld. The only other piece that I could find any damage to is a tiny crack at the base of the trigger handle which I was told is not a problem, as it can be epoxied there very easily. The rest of the handle is not cracked anywhere I pulled the plug and it is very nice, light brownish-red color and very clean, very strong spark.

I drained the old gas, filled it with fresh mix and full of bar oil, and she started in 3 pulls!!! Runs great and the ring and piston are in fine shape, so it doesn't smoke you out! The compression is very strong so it is also a very good runner. It also has the old style maxi-flow filter system, but the foam is somewhat torn and ugly but could be replaced easily enough. The cover is ugly but seems to work fine.

I just tested the compression 3 hours after running it a bit and after buying a new gauge kit it shows 125psi at 6000 feet where I am located, which equates to right at 150psi at sea level I believe, so it is a very healthy example.

I can take pictures of the piston and cylinder as well, but I have checked and they are perfect and you can still see the machining marks on the piston skirt and the shiny cylinder.

How about $400 + Shipping for PHO?

Was it 125# before you took the picture of your gauge? If so you either don't have it screwed in all the way right, or maybe the saw needs rings, or something.

C'mon Jon, I have read a few of your threads and you are a purdy smart feller...... It don't need no new ringy things!!

o_O

Look at the marks on the gauge closely..... the needle is between 100 and 150psi.

I took the pic a few minutes after, but the gauge is showing 122-123psi in the pic and was 125 at first I believe when I took the reading. Also, this was on a stone cold engine to boot. I can run it tomorrow and see what it does when warm as well.

I took a pressure reduction of 3% per 1000 foot of elevation and since I am at 6000 foot, it was 18% pressure reduction, which puts it right at about 147psi at sea level.

Took a video of it starting and running today on my Iphone but it is upside down so I am trying to fix it and post it up (Damn You APPLE!!!)

This thing is in great shape..... Started today on first pull with throttle set to fast idle.

C'mon Jon, I have read a few of your threads and you are a purdy smart feller...... It don't need no new ringy things!!

o_O

Look at the marks on the gauge closely..... the needle is between 100 and 150psi.

I took the pic a few minutes after, but the gauge is showing 122-123psi in the pic and was 125 at first I believe when I took the reading. Also, this was on a stone cold engine to boot. I can run it tomorrow and see what it does when warm as well.

I took a pressure reduction of 3% per 1000 foot of elevation and since I am at 6000 foot, it was 18% pressure reduction, which puts it right at about 147psi at sea level.

I have a few saws sitting around, so I went out and put my gauge on a couple. With ambient temperature engines the compression reading stayed the same after 5 minutes of sitting on both saws I checked.
Granted these are both freshly built saws, but any leakdown in a short amount of time seems like a pretty good indication of an issue. Provided your gauge is screwed in all the way tight.

Corrected for accuracy- Ok, I did say "great shape" , but I meant that it starts and runs well and I get the points about the felling spike mount holes and cracked cover, but why does everyone keep saying it has low compression?? I am at 6000 feet!!!

Also, I have a regular small filter and housing that I have on order for it already to replace the Max-flow as well that I didn't mention earlier.

I just pointed out all the flaws very honestly, and I don't understand why it seems like I am asking for a huge amount for this PHO. I have seen some crapped out 044's sell for $450+ needing all kinds of rebuild parts and work just to make them run..... I guess this is just the wrong time of year to try and sell anything unless you are willing to give it away.

I have a few saws sitting around, so I went out and put my gauge on a couple. With ambient temperature engines the compression reading stayed the same after 5 minutes of sitting on both saws I checked.
Granted these are both freshly built saws, but any leakdown in a short amount of time seems like a pretty good indication of an issue. Provided your gauge is screwed in all the way tight.

Yes Sir, You are correct. I redid the test and I got 122-123 consistently holding pressure. I misread when I thought it was 125. I was off by 2 or 3 psi apparently when I glanced at it first. Thank You for your kindness in checking your own saws as well.

Took a video of it starting and running today on my Iphone but it is upside down so I am trying to fix it and post it up (Damn You APPLE!!!)

This thing is in great shape..... Started today on first pull with throttle set to fast idle.
Ok, but I didn't say "great shape", I said "runs great" and I get the points about the felling spike mount holes and cracked cover, but why does everyone keep saying it has low compression?? I am at 6000 feet!!!

Also, I have a regular small filter and housing that I have on order for it already to replace the Max-flow as well that I didn't mention earlier.

I just pointed out all the flaws very honestly, and I don't understand why it seems like I am asking for a huge amount for this PHO. I have seen some crapped out 044's sell for $450+ needing all kinds of rebuild parts and work just to make them run..... I guess this is just the wrong time of year to try and sell anything unless you are willing to give it away.

Umm, actually you did say "great shape".

ok, you are all correct, I am wrong, my bad. I guess I was just looking at my first post. I meant that the engine is in great shape compared to most of the used 044 Stihl saws that I see , not the saw overall.

I marked it as sold because I unfortunately can't edit my first post to correct any errors...

Thanks to all and sorry for the miscommunication.

I don't understand why it seems like I am asking for a huge amount for this PHO. I have seen some crapped out 044's sell for $450+ needing all kinds of rebuild parts and work just to make them run..... I guess this is just the wrong time of year to try and sell anything unless you are willing to give it away.
Please post links to crapped out 044s selling for $450 plus...

Honestly, I think a really nice 044 is a $500 saw. I actually sold one recently, in better condition for $440 shipped...

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/o44-12mm.269832/

Denver....

People here are crazy over Stihls.

Husky's bring about 1/2-3/4 market price here, and Stihls sell for 1 1/4-1 1/2 normal market prices...

No Joke!

Well Used 024's and 026's sell for $275-$300 all day long

Well used MS441's go for $700-$750

They are expensive here in NorCal, as well. But not on the AS Tradin' Post. :laugh:

The Craigslist market is a joke, leans heavily on the favor of the seller. Here on AS, we have a group of educated chainsaw "enthusiast" and then there are the "conditionalist" like myself. It looks like a parts saw/carcass from the pics.

It won't pull the money here you are looking for.

Cgraham1, BryanR2, and Jon1212, you all have had or still have saws for sale here that I couldn't believe how low they sold for or what you were asking....

I am also a "conditionalist" if the price is right....

I can't stand something broken or out of place..... I even struggle to recognize that some people just want a running 70cc Stihl saw at the end of the day that they can go work with. If it gets scratched, dropped, paint chipped, etc., it doesn't matter as long as it still runs.

I am going to sell this one locally and leave the more pristine and rare (and brands other than Stihl) to be posted for sale here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back