Stihl 044 case......D'oh! - with pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I finally got another project to work on. It is a 12mm pin 044. Everything seemed to be about what I expected: Dirty, needs a piston, Mahle cylinder, needs a clutch cover, needs a clutch, needs a pull start assembly, and paint.

The problem that I didn't expect is that part of the flywheel side case is broken off. It broke right where the pull start and chain brake bolt to that side. Is there a difference between 10mm and 12mm case halves? Anyone got one?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That is One hammer saw it will need alot of TLC to bring that back to life but you got to start some where

tear it aprt and see what you got

keep us posted

I have a 440 bottom end I don’t need the only flaw on it is the top cover bolt hole on the clutch side is taped out the next size. I can get pics if needed

I have a 440 bottom end I don’t need the only flaw on it is the top cover bolt hole on the clutch side is taped out the next size. I can get pics if needed

I will let you know. I just got off the phone with one of my brothers. We are going to try and TIG weld the case, then re-tap the hole.

I plan to repaint the case with Nason tractor and implement paint. I will try my hand with my second ever port job and see if I can give this ole girl new life. It looks like she was un-done by a dryed up clutch side seal, or straight gassed. The crank big end and little end bearing are fine, the main bearings are toast. The piston damage extended all the way to the clutch side.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That's a good project you have there. My first ever saw project was an 044 with the 12mm wristpin. You may be able to save that cylinder with some acid or you can get the whole kit on fleabay: CYLINDER & PISTON KIT for STIHL 044 MS440 CHAINSAW | eBay
I picked up a gasket kit from Baileys for mine that worked out well:Bailey's - NWP Gasket Set for Stihl 044, MS 440
I think you will enjoy that project, that was also the second saw I ever ported. It works great and responds very well to porting. I only did a mild in and out port job with a muffler mod and it worked out well for me.

That thing is hammerd dog **** probly get another one that's hammerd dog **** to provide the bottom end

That thing is hammerd dog **** probly get another one that's hammerd dog **** to provide the bottom end

I think I will be OK. My brother is a machinist with lots of welding experience. He is going to try and fix the broken ear on the case. Other than that, I am a set of bearings, seals, piston, and a couple other odds and ends away from having 1 helluva homeowner saw.

My plan is to do the re-build and post here with the actual $$$$$ amount and source for all of the parts.

I think I will be OK. My brother is a machinist with lots of welding experience. He is going to try and fix the broken ear on the case. Other than that, I am a set of bearings, seals, piston, and a couple other odds and ends away from having 1 helluva homeowner saw.

Sure as hell wouldnt hurt anything trying to fix it. You never know, might work out.

I know you'll be okay these saws are a dime a dozen and often found for under 50 bucks for complete saws. Back in my cad days I had 044 and 440s growing out my ears.

I know you'll be okay these saws are a dime a dozen and often found for under 50 bucks for complete saws. Back in my cad days I had 044 and 440s growing out my ears.

You gotta be kidding me. I have searched diligently for about 3 years now. They are nowhere to be found in New England. I paid nearly $200 for that pile....and felt like I did OK.

Dont worry Flyboy, they're a pretty penny here too. Most on CL here are above 500 if they arent in absolute shambles.

Probably they are pretty common out in big woods logging areas like where Evan is from, and I would imagine that where he lives as far as Stihl goes the 460 is probably supreme. Out here on the east coast however, that 044 is pretty highly sought after.

In NH forget it. I can't remember the last time I saw an 044 on CL.

I have a pretty decent relationship at the dealer. They have been looking for a dead one for months for me. Nothing.

Parts are so expensive for the Stihls that I generally shy away from one in that condition. It's good to have a project but by the time I got done with mine they cost as much as just buying a good one.

True for a good one (if they are truly good), but I want a project more than just an 044. A new one of these is about $900. This is what I am thinking so far (I have not ordered parts):

Piston---------------$39.95-----Northwood Saw
Clutch cover---------$24.95-----Northwood Saw
Inner Side Plate------$4.95------Northwood Saw
Fuel Line-------------$6.95-------Northwood Saw
Spark Plug WSR6F---$1.95-------Northwood Saw
Gaskets/Seals-------$9.99-------HLSproparts
Clutch---------------$24.99-----HLSproparts
Dual Port Muffler-----$28.99------HLSproparts
Starter Assembly----$32.99------HLSproparts
Bearings-------------$39.99------HLSproparts
Paint-----------------$not sure----Sanel Auto Parts, Concord NH
044 rebuilder---------$188--------FleaBay
---------------------------------------------------------------
Total $403.70

The saw came with a nearly brand new 20" Stihl ES bar. I have chains to fit it already. I have spare fuel filters in stock already. All of the screws are there. I will put a carb kit in it, but those are usually about $5 shipped on Fleabay.

So about $450 after shipping and painting to have a completely rebuilt + ported / polished / dual port 044...... or 50 cents on a dollar for a new one.
Plus I will have a ton of fun doing the project, and be able to show my kids what can be done if you make an effort.

Last edited:
True for a good one (if they are truly good), but I want a project more than just an 044. A new one of these is about $900. This is what I am thinking so far (I have not ordered parts):

Piston---------------$39.95-----Northwood Saw
Clutch cover---------$24.95-----Northwood Saw
Inner Side Plate------$4.95------Northwood Saw
Fuel Line-------------$6.95-------Northwood Saw
Spark Plug WSR6F---$1.95-------Northwood Saw
Gaskets/Seals-------$9.99-------HLSproparts
Clutch---------------$24.99-----HLSproparts
Dual Port Muffler-----$28.99------HLSproparts
Starter Assembly----$32.99------HLSproparts
Bearings-------------$39.99------HLSproparts
Paint-----------------$not sure----Sanel Auto Parts, Concord NH
044 rebuilder---------$188--------FleaBay
---------------------------------------------------------------
Total $403.70

The saw came with a nearly brand new 20" Stihl ES bar. I have chains to fit it already. I have spare fuel filters in stock already. All of the screws are there. I will put a carb kit in it, but those are usually about $5 shipped on Fleabay.

So about $450 after shipping and painting to have a completely rebuilt + ported / polished / dual port 044...... or 50 cents on a dollar for a new one.
Plus I will have a ton of fun doing the project, and be able to show my kids what can be done if you make an effort.

Actually, I got by a little cheaper than you did on the parts but mine didn't need as much. I don't imagine your list is complete yet. There's always something you forgot, at least in my case there was. Are you gonna use the cylinder or buy another one? That one might clean up. I see you have down a starter assy. It doesn't look like yours is equipped with a compression release either, those can be hard on starters (and elbows).

Last edited:
That saw is down to a pile of parts now. I think the list is essentially there....certainly within $20 or so. I want to try to re-use the cylinder. I have not hit it with acid yet, but it looks good enough. It does not have the compression release. If I replace the cylinder, it will be a BB with compression release. This saw will get used about 20 hours a year......TOPS. I just do storm cleanup and 3-4 cords of firewood a year. My 026 is mostly plenty, but sometimes it gets pushed. A few weeks ago I was bucking up some red oak that was about 26" (with a 16" bar). That was probably tough on the little saw.

Back