Stihl 044 Crank seal (oiler side)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawmillMan

Just Cutting Up
Reaction score
I have an 044 and need to replace the crank seal on the oiler/clutch side. I'm not sure how to access the seal. What is necessary to remove the oiler mechanism restricting access to the seal? I successfully changed the flywheel side seal. At this point I've only removed the sprocket and clutch and I'm unsure what to do next.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 46
All, thanks for the input. Seals successfully installed and the saw runs like new (new jug and piston), it almost is.

It seems to leak a bit more oil than I recall when it is shut off after running. Do you suppose the O-ring on the oil pump is faulty?

Indeed, sometimes when you uninstall and reinstall the oiler, the seal can leak..... they get stiff and once you unseat them.... well, you know. Hey, at least you know how to get in there and do it. Prolly six or ten bucks for the hose... the screen is reusable, provided I'm keeping my saws straight.

That reminds me. There is a little fat "o" ring at the top and easy to loose. It is straight above the oil hose and in the crank case. There is a depressed area for it to fit. Maybe lost it? Mike
It was reinstalled, but I was suspect of its reliability. It was a hard booger to get seated.

Back