Stihl 044 Pressure Leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thompson1600

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have been having a real hard time with an 044 and leaking pressure. I know where it is coming from, the spacer bushing on the clutch side. It's the part that goes over the crankshaft behind the worm. I have tried different spacers, different o-rings, even changed the oil seal, and still can't get it to hold pressure there. Any suggestions?

attached picture is the part I am talking about, #11.

Tom

Are you talking about a crankcase pressure leak? Change the crank seal... or is that what you meant by changing the oil seal?

yeah I changed the crankcase oil seal already. It's the bushing that is leaking, but wondering if there is a workaround. Tried different spacer bushings and it still leaks, wondering if the crankshaft may be worn down there. Looking for ideas to seal this up. Thanks

Tom

I don't see how that part could have pressure on it. I would pressure test the crancase with the flywheel and clutch/oil pump off. anything outboard of the seals should not have crancase pressure or vaccuum acting on it. Is it possible that the crancase is leaking into the oil tank and air is leaking out of the bushing from oil pump?

The only thing that bushing is going to affect if it's excessively worn is bar oil pump operation.

Does the crank have any wear on it from the o ring? On these saws the bushing has a o ring in it that slides over teh crank shaft then the crankshaft seal rides on the bushing. When I toke my 44 down I thought this was a dumb way to have a seal to seat. Could it possible be the new seal its self is leaking around where its in the housing of the bearing? Also try a bit of grease on the crank shaft before putting the bushing on to see if the leak stops.
Later
Bob

Bob's right. The pto side crank seal doesn't seal on the crank but on the large end of the bushing. Tom I'd guess the seal or bearing depth could be incorrect or perhaps the seal is not set square in the bore. Are you taking care to install the bushing so as not to roll one of the lips? Is this the right seal? Sometimes parts make it into the wrong boxes. I'm not trying to insult by asking basic questions, it's just that sometimes the most frustrating problems have simple solutions. :) Take it easy. John

He's right too, my dealer ordered a set of spikes for my saw, I ordered an inside spike, and an ouside one too, I got 2 inside spikes and no outside spike, the part #s on the packages were right, but the parts themselves werent.

It's a wierd setup on the 044 the way this bushing is used to seal up the oil seal. The leak is actually not where the bushing seals with the oil seal, but between the bushing and the crankshaft. It is bubbling the soapy water out the edge between the two mating surfaces. I have the little o-ring in there and have tried a few of these spacer bushings to see if it made a difference. It didn't. May be a bad/worn crankshaft end too. Thanks

Tom

By the way, the o-ring isn't listed in the IPL, only the spacer bushing. Has anyone tried using a generic o-ring of some kind and got it to work with these spacer bushings. They are $26 bucks each at the dealer.

Tom

Back when I worked in the shop I found this to be a common leak on these saws. I always packed the spacer with grease and it always worked. That is what the Stihl techs told me to do also. It's not really a matter of wear, Just metal against metal with nothing there to insure a seal. It doesn't always leak but I always pack it with grease when I put one back in there to be sure. Hope that helps,
Stevie

Exactly what o-ring are we talking about here? :Eye:

If the bushing worn so that it's hogged out then it won't seal.... but like Stevie says, "metal on metal" so it won't be a perfect seal. If, it blows a couple of soap bubbles during your leak test, but the saw runs ok, then I wouldn't worry. If however you can fill a truck tire from the air escaping between the crank and bushing then it's time for new said parts. Did this saw not run right or is this a rebuild that you're pressure testing? John

Lucky, if you look at the graphic of the IPL page I put on my first post and look at part #11. The end of part #11 that goes again the crankcase is larger and an o-ring fits in that larger area. That then fits right up against the crankshaft and bearing area to form a seal.

I am rebuilding an 044 saw.

Thanks

Tom

Tom, I may sound like a cowboy here, but put the saw together, and start it, and see how it runs. I would only worry about this if the saw runs funny. Unless parts are really worn, you probably won't lose much pressure. John

oring

I never put an 044 back together with out an oring in there.I am not at work, but Stihl does make the o-ring. Ben Crago gave us the part number years ago. I will try to find it.
Stihl fills them with grease at the factory, it may work also.

Latest posts

Back