Stihl 044 rebuild piston and cylinder advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71cowboys

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a stihl 044 that needs a total rebuild.
Piston and cylinder are shot, needs new bearings and seals
Gas and impulse lines
I need advice on decent PC kits, it is a later model with 12mm
See a lot of big bore kits online, always wanted a 46 or 460 thought this might be an alternative
Thanks

Find a good OEM cylinder and a Meteor or similar quality piston. The BB kits can be disappointing in quality and power. The 046/460 isn't much stronger than a good 044.

I was quoted $269.00 for a OEM 044 piston and cylinder at my local Stihl dealer.I don't know what the bearings cost, haven't checked the prices on those yet but with the price of a new 441 costing over 8 bills it seems like this is definitely the cheaper route, even buying OEM parts.

Matt

460 top end oem or meteor kits are nice. Just make sure your wrist pin is the 12mm and not a 10mm. A meteor 460 top end would wake that 044 up for $149. Hyway 046/460 kis are nice also.

Last edited:
I would get a good used OEM cylinder and an Meteor piston. I just put bearings in my 044 and it was around $90 for a set of OEM bearings and a OEM gasket set.

Mastermind has a kit that's perfect for your needs. Meteor Big Bore Woods ported $400. That way you'll have more power than an 046!

First choice would be a good used OEM with a new set of Caber rings. I wouldn't be afraid of a meteor kit either. Can't comment on the 046 kit,never owned one but the 044 is a great saw all by itself. Just curious...why is your cylinder not reusable ?

First choice would be a good used OEM with a new set of Caber rings. I wouldn't be afraid of a meteor kit either. Can't comment on the 046 kit,never owned one but the 044 is a great saw all by itself. Just curious...why is your cylinder not reusable ?

Deep gouges on the intake side, rings were intact, must have injested something
Heavy scoring on the exhaust side as well

check out watsonr

he has some different kits to chose from at great prices.. and also offers caber rings as an upgrade, along with a great warranty.

Mastermind has a kit that's perfect for your needs. Meteor Big Bore Woods ported $400. That way you'll have more power than an 046!

im really happy with the one i have so far ,its the saw i grab most of the time

Back