Stihl 044 recoil bolts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alabamatriker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Started buttoning up my 044 project last night. When I got it, it had a bad crank. Well I found a parts saw and just used the crankcase and crank from it. Got it all together and found that 2 of the 3 bolt holes for the recoil are stripped out. Going to be hard to go up in size and retap because the holes in the recoil are too close to edge to go up a size and the countersink in the recoil won't accept a bigger bolt head. Where do I go from here? Anyone ever ran into this before? How did you fix it?

I've had two stripped threads on an ms440 repaired at the dealer with Helicoil inserts. Cheap and fixes the problem permanently. Alternately, Time-Sert makes an excellent thread repair system.

I use keyserts from MSC. MSC# 36753069

https://m.mscdirect.com/mobileweb/product_detail?id=36753069&hasRestrictedParts=false

3675306-23.jpg

live and learn! being an 044 thread, caught my attention... have used heli-coils from time to time on bad thread related occasions. but the two other systems are new to me. found them to be interesting. nothing quite like a thread gone bad, renewed... always liked the new SS heli-coil thread... even double stacked them on a couple of jobs.

http://www.newmantools.com/key.htm

One word of caution about using the keyserts on this particular repair, the metal around the recoil connector screws will be very thin once the new threads for the insert are cut in, be very careful when setting the keys, I have two broken cases here where someone else tried setting the keys in and they broke/cracked the metal that surrounds the insert.

One word of caution about using the keyserts on this particular repair, the metal around the recoil connector screws will be very thin once the new threads for the insert are cut in, be very careful when setting the keys, I have two broken cases here where someone else tried setting the keys in and they broke/cracked the metal that surrounds the insert.
That's surprising, as they only disturb the metal in the threads.

What is the tap size for a Helicoil? If it's smaller, that might be the way to go.

It might just be the dumas tapping them a little too hard on the broke ones but the cracked ones looked like the locks wedged in too hard expanding the surrounding metal causing it to break, there will be only about 1/8" of metal left on the outside facing metal after the bigger hole is drilled and tapped, not a lot of strength in mag cases. Just be careful and it may work but I would use a Helicoil in this case.

Timeserts are the best of the best for thread repair. If you are worried about loosing too much strength, try putting a smaller time sert in, if at all possible, and use smaller screws. Worse case scenario, pack them with JB weld or similar, and put an insert in. Or wait til it drys and tap out the JB weld.

Latest posts

Back