Stihl 044 screamer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a Stihl 044 and we've been cutting some trees on his property. I told him that his saw sounds like it is running a bit on the lean side. He tells me it has always run like that since buying it at a yard sale years ago. So I pulled the plug out and it was almost white. I told him it should be light tan not white as that is a sign of running lean. Threw the tach on it & it proceeded to rev to 14,720 rpm's. :jawdrop: No, its never been ported either. It was idling at 3250 rpm's too. When I tried to adjust the carb both scews were already against the stops. So I brought it home & cut the tabs off the limiter caps to be able to adjust it. After adjustments, I let it cool down a bit & pulled the plug. I'll be damned if that wasn't the cleanest piston top I've ever seen. No sign of any carbon build up. I just couldn't believe it. From what I could see through the plug hole, the cylinder looked good also. Would you say he was lucky or was the saw at its maximum limit before meltdown?

I don't think he ever had the clutch cover off either by the amount of crud I blew out of it with the compressor. There was a sawdust/oil lip that had formed on the inside of the clutch cover that required a putty scraper to remove. This is just plain ol' saw abuse the way I see it. Do any of you know someone that takes care of their saws like this? :dizzy: :givebeer:

I think only about 1% of chainsaw owner actually clean the saw after use. and 99.5% of these people are registered here. haha

You can't hurt an 026, 036 or 044 just because it's lean, if they're too lean they just die in the cut. 14 grand is peanuts to a pro-stihl

they'll take a thrashing, they'll run lean for years without complaint, does not apply to echos or poulans or similar... :pumpkin2:

You can't hurt an 026, 036 or 044 just because it's lean, if they're too lean they just die in the cut. 14 grand is peanuts to a pro-stihl

Wigglesworth; "Huh???"

Wigglesworth, you gots to get yourself jecated; the leaner, the meaner's the new mantra! It really makes a saw sound "badass"!

wink
quote:
Originally posted by pgg view post
you can't hurt an 026, 036 or 044 just because it's lean, if they're too lean they just die in the cut. 14 grand is peanuts to a pro-stihl
wigglesworth; "huh???"

wigglesworth, you gots to get yourself jecated; the leaner, the meaner's the new mantra! It really makes a saw sound "badass"!

ha ha ha

Latest posts

Back