Stihl 044 value ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brake kleen will lighten up the orange on the plastic more than remove the Stihl logo. Also, the black striping on the gunning sights still look perfect. I have done that same thing before, and I know what happens with OE and aftermarket.

I smell bull####.

Thats because I used a sharpy to repaint the line .

Brake kleen will lighten up the orange on the plastic more than remove the Stihl logo. Also, the black striping on the gunning sights still look perfect. I have done that same thing before, and I know what happens with OE and aftermarket.

I smell bull####.
LOL..!!...Me too..!!

The Forester bar (who knows what chain)...and then the Brake-Clean...

My old Grandpa always taught me two rules to live by...

1) Don't 'fork' yourself.!!...plenty of others out there that will try to do that..!!

2) Never try to BS a BS'er...He'll see right through you very soon..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
I'm sure it does run!! And I'm sure it runs good!! Cummins or Detroit in that old girl?

Its the big gas engine I think its 477 , I will say it runs but not good I would not want to drive off the lot onto public roads the guy we bought it from ( our neighbor ) got rid of it to get an International diesel

The ones that look like that and have been on craigslist for 4 years have been listed for $400-$450, if you want to move it $300 would be a bit closer to getting it sold. I'm not knocking your saw, just trying to give you a realistic price to get it sold, from someone who checks the saw market 4-5 times a day.

I want a realistic price not a dream price , if did sell it anyone would be more than welcome to drag out the fine tooth comb while looking at it and using a compression tester , the only reason I bought the saw in the first place was because the lady knocked off some money because of the broken oil cap protector at least she said she did , the receipt says $505 it was bought 12/8/1999 with a build date of september 1999 , do you remember what 044 were going for in 1999 ?

Last edited:
I want a realistic price not a dream price , if did sell it anyone would be more than welcome to drag out the fine tooth comb while looking at it and using a compression tester , the only reason I bought the saw in the first place was because the lady knocked off some money because of the broken oil cap protector at least she said she did , the receipt says $505 it was bought 12/8/1999 with a build date of september 1999 , do you remember what 044 were going for in 1999 ?

I'm sorry is that a brand new saw? I was under the impression that it was used. A brand new ms440 today fetches around $900 up in these parts, as to what a 044 would fetch brand new in 1999 is irrelevant, but my guess would be around $700.

in 96 i paid 600$ for my 044, inc a case.still runs great.k

The only part that seems strange to me is the letters missing off the recoil and your story as to how it happened... everything else checks out IMO the fact that it was bought PHO from the dealer can be easily proven by posting a pic of the reciept and hence why the forester bar is on it. Put in on craigslist for 500 OBO and see what happens.

A brand new 440 will be the same saw as this one maybe even weaker due to epa... Now a 441 or 441 cm tronic will have some added benefits such as better anti vibe (springs as opposed to rubber mounts), better air filteration, and the cm tronic has a self adjusting carb. But if you use your saws so little as your sig and the low hours on this one would indicate why do you want to drop money on a new saw?? This one will do just fine.

The two things i stated above the recoil story and wanting a new possibly exact same expensive saw when the old one will do seem rather weird to me but that being said it doesn't make me think its a scam either....

The only part that seems strange to me is the letters missing off the recoil and your story as to how it happened... everything else checks out IMO the fact that it was bought PHO from the dealer can be easily proven by posting a pic of the reciept and hence why the forester bar is on it. Put in on craigslist for 500 OBO and see what happens.

A brand new 440 will be the same saw as this one maybe even weaker due to epa... Now a 441 or 441 cm tronic will have some added benefits such as better anti vibe (springs as opposed to rubber mounts), better air filteration, and the cm tronic has a self adjusting carb. But if you use your saws so little as your sig and the low hours on this one would indicate why do you want to drop money on a new saw?? This one will do just fine.

The two things i stated above the recoil story and wanting a new possibly exact same expensive saw when the old one will do seem rather weird to me but that being said it doesn't make me think its a scam either....
I get this urge to buy new Stihl stuff sometimes , CAD I picked up a new Stihl MS 362 20" bar and chain it has never cut wood a few years ago ( the MS 362 is in the saw tree above the 044 thats what that oil drop is from on the front of the 044 ) then a new Stihl BG86 leaf blower last month and a Stihl PP880 pole saw last week it will be in the shop after I finish up a few more trees the pole saw will be put away likely to not get used for years .

Last edited:
Rough bunch on here tonight. In reality, how many people ask how many hours a saw has when they buy it??? If it's in good mechanical shape, it should fetch around $350 pretty easy and quickly.

I get this urge to buy new Stihl stuff sometimes , CAD I picked up a new Stihl MS 362 20" bar and chain it has never cut wood. A Stihl PP880 pole saw last week it will be in the shop after I finish up a few more trees the pole saw will be put away likely to not get used for years .
As the old country sayin' goes...Some folks just have more dollars than ¢¢..!!!!
:cheers:
J2F

400.00 is tops in my opinion, I try to not buy saws with aftermarket stuff, never know what you are going to get

Rough bunch on here tonight. In reality, how many people ask how many hours a saw has when they buy it??? If it's in good mechanical shape, it should fetch around $350 pretty easy and quickly.
Tell me about it , you would have thought I was asking how much to sell a child into slavery for , its a 13 year old chainsaw saw with low hours because I had access other saws to use all of those years and I do not cut much at that you would have thought I was asking $700 for it and claiming it was like new out of the box :laugh:

My 1999 044 looks just as good or better, and it has quite a few hours on it more than "15'. And my oldass 044 has had carb cleaner on it, and it still shows its logos.

View attachment 221225

Perhaps the brake cleaner I used was nastier stuff I dont remember what brand I used , how much would you ask for yours if you were to sell it , as to the 15 hours I dont know for a fact thats the exact hours ( there is no houre meter on the saw ) but its pretty close in my mind since the saw has not been out of my possesion since I have had it .

400.00 is tops in my opinion, I try to not buy saws with aftermarket stuff, never know what you are going to get

The only aftermarket thing on the saw is the bar and chain and I have regretted buying it ever since you could make a case that the black sharpy on the felling line is aftermarket but that's a real stretch I thought the handlebars might not be original but the receipt says it was a wrap handle version the saw still has the original air filter and sock its still clean only being blown out with air a few times .

There is a 044 going for $400 in my area that has been on CL for about a month, older bar but claims new chain, well used condition is how I would put it. offered $300 for it but no bite.

So $400 in good condition $450 if you want some room to come down on the price to seem negotiable.

Latest posts

Back