Stihl 045 av super questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjlepes

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good afternoon. I purchased a Stihl 045 av super electronic before the holidays and have since started tearing it down to rebuild.

My questions are: now that I have the saw down to the crank case, flywheel and clutch, 1. what kind of puller do I need to remover the flywheel (fan and flywheel are sperate and when the fan comes off you are left with there screw holes in the flywheel)?, 2. how the hell do I get the clutch nut off? its tight as hell and reverse thread I believe? 3. the most scary of my questions, there is a considerable amount of lateral play in the crankshaft, is it bearings? the bearings do not look discolored but it looks like the bearings are moving in this manner with the crankshaft. maybe the bearings have loosened in the case? maybe the case is cracked or broken? I have to crack the case and what tool do I need?

thank You

1 I use a harmonic balance puller or steering wheel puller, long metric bolts and appropriate washers to pull the rotor.
2 Use an impact on the clutch nut, reverse thread. The clutch itself is threaded as well and you'll need the Stihl tool to unscrew that. I see them on Ebay.
3 These are ball bearing motors, so any play is bad. You might have trouble finding the bearings. I don't know. There crankcase splitters out but I imagine those are more expensive than the saw you are working on. If it splits real easy, the case is probably shot. Good thing is those should be very common. Might even be easier to find a good case/crank assembly and just install new seals.

Chris B.

1 I use a harmonic balance puller or steering wheel puller, long metric bolts and appropriate washers to pull the rotor.
2 Use an impact on the clutch nut, reverse thread. The clutch itself is threaded as well and you'll need the Stihl tool to unscrew that. I see them on Ebay.
3 These are ball bearing motors, so any play is bad. You might have trouble finding the bearings. I don't know. There crankcase splitters out but I imagine those are more expensive than the saw you are working on. If it splits real easy, the case is probably shot. Good thing is those should be very common. Might even be easier to find a good case/crank assembly and just install new seals.

Chris B.
Thank you, Chris

Back