Stihl 045

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsaw _ crazy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a stihl 045 here I switched it over to the points and condenser style ignition has great spark and turns over really cleanly but I have a 54mm cylinder, piston kit here never had to take off a cylinder head before as I generally just bring it to the local repair guy for that but he's on vacation. So I am wondering what tips and tricks you guys have as I don't want to damage my 50mm piston head. I am trying to figure out how to remove the bearing / pin that holds the piston head on and if so what tools do I need

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

OK There is a clip on each side of the piston in a recess. These clips hold the wrist pin into the piston. Remove the clips and drive out the wrist pin. The piston will come off then. Check your cylinder base. It may be to big for the 045. I can't remember but the 54mm is definitely to big and maybe the 52 also.

OK There is a clip on each side of the piston in a recess. These clips hold the wrist pin into the piston. Remove the clips and drive out the wrist pin. The piston will come off then. Check your cylinder base. It may be to big for the 045. I can't remember but the 54mm is definitely to big and maybe the 52 also.
No it fits the magnum cylinder is to big for mine unless I alter the holes for the screws but I got a 056 crankcase I rebuilt for this saw so should work fine the 045 crankcase is beat up like crazy from previous owners

Would I have to use a round metal punch to get the wrist pin out or something

Perhaps the biggest criticism of the Stihl 045 is that it's a bear to work on and repair. You may have sent the local repair guy on vacation after he heard yours needed major fixing.
Lol no he run away every year for a month and brings back his own new chainsaws and other fun toys. Been rebuilding it so I can sell it and get a mccholluch super pro 80/81

Perhaps the biggest criticism of the Stihl 045 is that it's a bear to work on and repair. You may have sent the local repair guy on vacation after he heard yours needed major fixing.
Nope nevermind I officially am at the point where I don't love this saw anymore I am switching back over to my jred and my 064. Esier to work on and my stihl 045 is going to the eBay listing with every last of the bagillion parts I have for it after today I think I need to bring my small engine repair guy a beer when he gets back from vacation

Back