stihl 045av pro5 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C3KNIGHT

Reaction score
i have a stihl 045av pro5 that hasn't been started for about a year now. ran great last fall but when i try to start it now it pulls back hard on the starter cord as if it has too much compression. it seems to have good compression with the spark plug removed it turns over great. the rings are free and piston and rings look good with muffler removed.
i took the saw apart to clean the sawdust and grime off the cylinder head fins and etc. replaced the impulse hose and oil tank vent/valve while i had it apart, but i cant remember exactly where the ground wire attaches on the carburetor housing.
any help, maybe pictures too would be appreciated.

Saws that are lean, kick back
Saws that are advanced in the timing, kick back
Saws that have some old fuel in them kick back
Saws run by guys that are not forceful on the starter, kick back

Welcome aboard!

The carb box to engine/ignition ground wire hooks up to a M4x8 self tapping sized screw right below the kill switch on the carb box. The seven tank screws themselves are longer & standard thread M4x16.

Search for a thread titled “Stihl 056av magnum help” from sammyp for a photo. The yellow wire in the first pic is the ground wire that you are asking about.

The short green jumper wire (in the second photo) was added to the later 056 magnums. It grounds the outer gas tank half to the left rear cylinder air deflector screw, but is not needed to ground/kill the ignition with the switch.

If your wire terminal is big enough, you could connect it to one of the two top cover M5 mounting screws below the switch, once you put the top cover/rear handle on. Works the same either way.

Back