stihl 046 brought to life

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbilly

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hello all, So I have ran a lot of stihl and husky saws and i like them both but lean towards the huskys. my first saw that i owned was an 046 that i put together out of a graveyard of parts i have lots of loggers as friends and was give a pile of used and broke down saws. so I put together an 046 and it ran for over a year with used stuff and trial and error in assembly i didn't have any pictures or a complete saw to look at so it was like a working puzzle when it finally wouldnt run any more i bought a 372xp and it has been my ground saw since and i use a 357xp as a climbing saw. although i don't work as a climber anymore. any way to the point after more than ten years sitting in pieces the original 046 got a second chance at life. I took it all the way apart and gave it a new am crank with oem bearings and seals and a meteor cylinder and piston with caber rings replaced the impulse line rebuild kit on the carb and it already had the first version of dp muffler but i drilled a second hole on the side next to the original one. fired right up put the old 36" bar on it and put it on a big fir tree and it screamed like it never did before. im sorry that i didn't sign up sooner and share pics along the way as i made tools to pull the bearings and crank into place. however i have enough parts to make another one with a few that i need to acquire i have a tank on the way from china and i need a handle bar and a few other small things but am looking forward. here is the big question how much difference in a D cylinder and non D cylinder I have three of them and i think one is still bolted down but of the other two one is still usable i think. the other one im pretty sure it toast but don't know how much room there is for honing until you have gone to far. sorry for the long post

well thats what i thought but wasnt sure....can they be replated or sleeved? if you knew exactly where the timing ports are could the be boared sleeved and ported

Many saw builders hone cylinders. However, it should be done with care and should be done selectively and judiciously.

Why measure port timing? The difference in the better running D-chambered 046 cylinders is in the port timing, not the chamber design. IIRC, not all d-chambered cylinders have the better port timing. So in effect, the d-chamber cannot be used to identify one of the better running cylinders.

ok so what are the measurements on the good ones and measure from where to where bottom of port to bottom of cylinder or port size? or from where to where

there are numbers on the cylinders is there a way to look them up to see if they are the good ones?

Latest posts

Back