stihl 046 help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbarker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for some guidance on my 046. Bought it from a friend siezed up hoping for just a cylinder/piston replacement. Found that the rod bearing (crankshaft end) is trashed as well as some light cylinder scoring. Wondering if crank and rod comes as an assembly or can I replace just the rod and bearing. Also thinking I'm probably getting in over my head and looking for a recommendation for a good stihl mechanic. Saw is almost new otherwise and I'd like to get it back running with the Magnum Muffler that is talked about on this site. I live in Virginia and would appreciate any help.

Parts manual just lists the crankshaft (pic shows crank and rod as one unit)
#1128 030 0404
-Ralph

Ouch..... this might cost a bit more than you'd originally hoped since you now need a crankshaft assembly and the labor involved. Are you mechanically inclined? Is the cylinder ok or is it shot too? John

I show the 046 crankshaft as 1128 030 0402. Has a price of about $185 and it's all one piece, don't know of an aftermarket source for the 046 crank. You can't take them apart. You are going to have to split the case apart. I would suspect that there may be crankshaft bearing problems or some other problem too if that main crank bearing went out. The cylinder and piston will cost you about $225 unless you go with an aftermarket one from Baileys for about $110 plus a gasket kit.

Can't help you on a mechanic in VA, but a repair like that is likely going to cost almost as much as a new saw, unless you can do it yourself with some good used parts. Good luck, you can get the 046 IPL and service manual from my site, if you decide to sell it as a parts saw, let me know.

Tom

Ouch is right. I am mechanically inclined but lack any small engine tools. I'd consider the cylinder lightly scored. I'd cerntainly consider it a canidate for honing. Still thinking of going to a good saw guy for the whole fix. Thanks for the reply.

I got a cylinder/piston combo(new) but really think that a good honing would clean up the old cylinder fine. Now I guess I have to go on the hunt for a crank. What a shame because this saw really looks like it only had a few tanks of gas run through it. Thanks......Mark

Back