Stihl 046 - suitable for tuning, big bore etc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a friend that is thinking of fitting a big bore kit on a Stihl 046, does anybody know if the 046 is a solid enough saw to take a big bore kit and a bit of tuning, has anybody got any advice on how to hot this saw up.

Any advice appreciated

Spud

Saw Help

Yes it can take a big bore. Putting a dual port muffler front and tuning to 4 stroke will gain alot. What chain and bar is it running? Semi skip non safety with the riders filed down a few thous can make some difference.

Saw Help

The 046 is a real work horse. They are well balanced with a 28" bar and semi skip chain :rock:

Yes it can take a big bore. Putting a dual port muffler front and tuning to 4 stroke will gain alot. What chain and bar is it running? Semi skip non safety with the riders filed down a few thous can make some difference.

If you can file a chain you shouldnt have to cut the rakers to make it cut. Keep them at .030 and you'll be fine.... 046 is a tough reliable saw...big bore it and mod the muffler...keep in mind the 80% of the exhaust port rule...tune it by sparkplug color....my saws are a medium tan plug color. My 440 is doing 14,100rpm and my 460 will run 14,000rpm but i have the 8 pin rim on it so i leave it at 13,800...as it likes it better. I run full comp RSK on stihl ES 20" bar...pulls it exceptionallly well even buried in locust and hickory....and my hand filed chains are really aggressive even with normal raker height...

the 046 really isnt worth the expense of a big bore kit. Your friend may be better of with a new saw. An ms290 or husky 455 come to mind as logical replacements for the 046. I am willing to send your friend postage and a little extra to get it off his hands. HAHA. I have a 046 and it is one of my most used saws. A properly tuned oem 046 is a real workhorse I do not know if you are going to get alot more out of it with a big bore kit.

I wouldn't spend the money on the big bore. Just muffler mod or maybe port the oem cylinder.

Back