Stihl 048 control shaft wiring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miggy5290

Reaction score
Hi all I've just come across your site after searching for information on the control shaft on my Stihl 048. I believe part no 1117 182 0900. The saw I've only just purchased and it wouldn't stop except by choking it. I lifted the cover and the wire from coil to the control shaft/kill switch had broken off hence not grounding see pic2 It looks like the switch has had a lot of repairs over the years and as the part is obsolete I can't get hold of a replacement. Has anyone got a pic of what the wiring should look like here? I think I'm missing another ground wire under the spring? Going by another pic from a member on this site pic1 If I can't get a replacement shaft and anyone performed another fix eg toggle switch? Thanks in advance guys the saw seems strong it'd be a shame not to keep it going.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 74
Hi all I've just come across your site after searching for information on the control shaft on my Stihl 048. I believe part no 1117 182 0900. The saw I've only just purchased and it wouldn't stop except by choking it. I lifted the cover and the wire from coil to the control shaft/kill switch had broken off hence not grounding see pic2 It looks like the switch has had a lot of repairs over the years and as the part is obsolete I can't get hold of a replacement. Has anyone got a pic of what the wiring should look like here? I think I'm missing another ground wire under the spring? Going by another pic from a member on this site pic1 If I can't get a replacement shaft and anyone performed another fix eg toggle switch? Thanks in advance guys the saw seems strong it'd be a shame not to keep it going.

mig-

welcome to a.s. that set up looks a lot like the 038. i think 048's are rare. i've never seen one and your photo is the first i remember seeing. later today, after the sun comes up and it warms up a bit, i'll go down to the shop and photograph an 038 control lever. i don't see a choke linkage. does the 048 have a mickey mouse choke that's a plastic flap behind the carb? anyway, almost all stihls have the same rube goldberg controls, two wires terminated by spade connectors, one of which contacts a grounded piece of brass when you push the lever all the way up. one wire will go to a ground on the case or cylinder, the other to the ignition module. check both wires carefully for pinches and breaks, especially the one to the ignition module. it should run under the starter assembly and is frequently pinched and cut. if you have a meter, probe around to see if you have a good ground at the control lever and continuity to the coil.

Thanks for the reply HeyDuke, I think shes definitely a 048 at least the top cover designates it that and it seems to fit the pictures around of it. I'v ebeen told it was a short run model and it shares parts with the 042 but even a pic of your 038 may help just to picture the wiring setup that would be appreciated.

Cheers

There should be a ground wire connecting the spring behind the lever to the crankcase. The other wire (seen in your pic) is connected to the coil. Upon contact between lever wire terminal and spring the coil will be shorted to ground and the engine stops.

Thanks for the reply HeyDuke, I think shes definitely a 048 at least the top cover designates it that and it seems to fit the pictures around of it. I'v ebeen told it was a short run model and it shares parts with the 042 but even a pic of your 038 may help just to picture the wiring setup that would be appreciated.

Cheers
mig-

the foto from gmax is excellent, so i don't think another one of an 038 will help much. geez, i've never encountered an 042 either. remember, for on/off switch problems a volt/ohm meter is your friend. it does look as if you may be missing the grounding wire and contact. There should be a long wire going to the ignition module by the flywheel and a short one from a spade connector (pictured in gmax's foto) to a screw threaded into the case. you can make one yourself if it is missing. all you'll need is a short piece of wire, a female spade connector and a round screw-down connector for the other end. if i were making one i would solder both connectors after crimping them.

also, from your foto it looks as if the control mechanism may be damaged where the black plastic "switch bearing" holds the brass contact. it looks as if one may be available at chainsawr dot com. they also have the grounding contact.

good luck. that looks like a great saw.

Here are 2 pics of my 048. I had the same issue and rewired it.
IMG_0896.JPG
IMG_0896.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0897.JPG
    IMG_0897.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 32
Back