Stihl 048 Rescue...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it all back together, but don't have any fuel handy, so didn't start it.

Didn't end up advancing the timing. And didn't mod the muffler, either. I plan to pick up a used muffler from eBay and mod it. I won't gut the nice OEM one that's on it now.

Compression ended up at 170; was expecting a bit more after the gasket delete, but 170 is still good. I think I ended up at 192 or something like that on my 045 with gasket delete so I was thinking it would be closer to that.

Found an NOS recoil/starter on eBay; couldn't pass it up. Also scored a nice NOS cover for the chain brake bits and oil pump. And I also grabbed another sprocket cover that has provisions for mounting outer dogs.

Still searching for a full wrap; haven't had any luck finding one yet. If any of y'all with a saw that has one, I'd be interested in buying your saw or sending you my half-wrap and some $$$ for your full wrap.

Thanks

Scott

that saw looks like a trip right down the rabbit hole to me but cool old saw and a bit unique too cause the only stihl that has the fill for the oil and fuel set up in that way....points ignition.....?I bet parts ya find oem are a bit pricey....my dealer would just roll their eyes if I walked in with that thing......have fun and good luck

that saw looks like a trip right down the rabbit hole to me but cool old saw and a bit unique too cause the only stihl that has the fill for the oil and fuel set up in that way....points ignition.....?I bet parts ya find oem are a bit pricey....my dealer would just roll their eyes if I walked in with that thing......have fun and good luck

No points, but I think the earlier models had points. Prices aren't bad for the parts that are out there. Not a lot of folks fooling with these, so the demand isn't huge.

Thanks

my dealer would just roll their eyes if I walked in with that thing

And if my dealer ever rolled their eyes at me, I’d find a new place to spend my money.

Customer Service means they give me what I want, not what keeps them from having to spend 5 minutes looking through their ordering software.

If you need any part, my Stihl dealership will open after the holidays on 7 January. I need to go pick some wear items so I won't be doing the trip just for you. ;)

PS: last time I was there they had a Homelite 550 in the "fixed, awaiting pickup" area. Those things are as rare as hen teeth here, and judging by the warning stickers that saw was first sold in France, of all places. Yet they fixed it nonetheless.
As Vespanian said "Pecunia non olet" (Money has no smell).

If you need any part, my Stihl dealership will open after the holidays on 7 January. I need to go pick some wear items so I won't be doing the trip just for you. ;)

PS: last time I was there they had a Homelite 550 in the "fixed, awaiting pickup" area. Those things are as rare as hen teeth here, and judging by the warning stickers that saw was first sold in France, of all places. Yet they fixed it nonetheless.
As Vespanian said "Pecunia non olet" (Money has no smell).

Ok, let me know if you find anything interesting!

Thanks

Scott

Very nice ! What dogs are those ? Nice score on the full wrap aswell. I did a resto on my 048 over the winter aswell

Can't remember where the dogs came from. Will have to check my notes. Yeah, the full wrap was hard as hell to find.

Your saw is gorgeous! As much $ as I have tied up in mine, I will probably do the same. Do you have a spare clutch cover in that style? I need one that's not cracked.

Y
Can't remember where the dogs came from. Will have to check my notes. Yeah, the full wrap was hard as hell to find.

Your saw is gorgeous! As much $ as I have tied up in mine, I will probably do the same. Do you have a spare clutch cover in that style? I need one that's not cracked.
thx. No extra cover sorry. Mine was missing when I bought it. Ended up finding this NOS one on eBay for a very reasonable price. I do have an ugly dented muffler tho, not sure what other spare pets

I ended up scoring a nice used clutch cover for a reasonable price. I think this is the third clutch cover that I've bought for this saw...

If anyone out there is thinking about restoring/rebuilding one of these old saws, do yourself a favor and don't keep track of what you spent...

Bumping an old thread! Saw has been sitting on the shelf unused for almost three years. I'll get it going, tune it, put it in some wood, and then sell it. Trying to go to a 3, 4, or 5 saw plan and it's not on the short list.

Still looking for 1117 656 1500 chip guard (fits in clutch cover) if anyone has one they can let go. I have one, but it's roached.

Back