Stihl 05 AVE retire or rebuild?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. Woodcock

Mr. Woodcock

ArboristSite Member
Stihl 051 AVE retire or rebuild?

I have an 051 ave i was my late grandpa's saw. It starts when it wants .runs great when not in wood( it bogs in wood no matter were carb is set alot like 041carb thread) I am thinking of a rebuild new P&S and a carb rebuild, or just save my money and get a new saw for the bigger wood and retire the 051. Just looking for opinions just got a ms260pro and love the new saws. Also how much can the 51 be modded? If I rebuild it I will want to do some extras to it.

Last edited:
Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
75/76 are the same. It will need studs, a few minor mods here and there, and maybe enlargment/repostioning of the decomp hole (depends on model).

Several threads on AS over the years from others that have done this.

harrygrey382

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
The best mod you can do to an 051 is to put an 075 Piston and Cylinder on it! Other than that.... leave it alone...

Woodcock, I've just done this. Very worthwhile, only mods I had to do was tap the M5 bolt holes out to M6 for the studs. The hole for the decomp was in the right position too, not saying they all are though

Latest posts