Stihl 056, how to take apart ignition?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbplayer546

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi there, im ordering a flywheel puller and new points for my stihl 056av super, and my stihl 045av pro 5. because both saws will run very hot and use a lot of gas, then after a short while it will shut off. thanks to all of you guys experience and help, its the points. and i have a few questions
1. since the stihl 045 and 056 are very similar, im assuming that the points are the same to?
2. and how hard is it to take off the flywheel with the puller, and replace the points? is it pretty straightfoward?

I doubt if your 056 has points (It's likely Bosch electronic) and unfortunately the symptoms you described in your other post, sounds like you've scored the piston and cylinder.....Don't shoot the messenger:monkey:

I pull those flywheels all the time with a harmonic balancer puller and three 5mm long screws (or 4mm screws for the early ones)

Last edited:
A picture of the flywheel would help to narrow down which ignition system you have. The cutting out when hot points towards the Bosch electronic system with the 2-part flywheel which is not good news as the module is NLA.
Does it have three slot headed screws holding the fan wheel on? If so this is the type of puller required although there are work-arounds with general purpose pullers.

attachment.php

I agree with it not having points, and I would check the top end for damage before you buy another expensive ignition for it.

stihl 056

no im pretty sure it is the ignition because it had stong compression, and i checked the spark afterwards and there isnt any spark at all

Stihl 056 install a brake system?

if you want to putn a chain brake system on a saw, can you just get the clutch cover with a chain brake, and a brake system hand guard, and is that all you need?

Yes I think but best to keep questions about an individual saw on one thread. You are up to about 4 and it's getting hard to keep track.

i dont know about the 056, but on the 051/075 unless there is the ear for the break handle cast into the crankcase half you cannot....

045 & 056 Brake

I have a new kit here part 1115 007 1009 that shows to fit 045 and 056 saws. It has a clutch cover, sprocket, brake handle and instructions never been opened. PM if interested.

hey go ask for a service manual and any questions you have AFTER reading it ask us, you keep asking but we can't really help you because you need a service manual to see the parts

Latest posts

Back