Stihl 056 super rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

Reaction score
Seeking advice on an eBay purchased 056 super, this saw has turned into a basket case. The saw runs with an erratic idles and has a terribly loose crank shaft, so I have acquired both the starter side bearing and the drive side sealed bearing.
When I brought the sawto my local dealership they found the crank case is egg shaped where the bearing sits. Looking with a bore scope we found some tolerable scouring on the exhaust side of the cylinder.
Should I quit and save my money?
Should I buy a used crankcase on eBay? How can I verify a used eBay crankcase will be useable?
Can anyone speak to the likelihood of performing a complete rebuild of this saw ( all bearings and seals)?

George Hurchalla

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Seeking advice on an eBay purchased 056 super, this saw has turned into a basket case. The saw runs with an erratic idles and has a terribly loose crank shaft, so I have acquired both the starter side bearing and the drive side sealed bearing.
When I brought the sawto my local dealership they found the crank case is egg shaped where the bearing sits. Looking with a bore scope we found some tolerable scouring on the exhaust side of the cylinder.
Should I quit and save my money?
Should I buy a used crankcase on eBay? How can I verify a used eBay crankcase will be useable?
Can anyone speak to the likelihood of performing a complete rebuild of this saw ( all bearings and seals)?
Let me know what you decided on. I rebuilt 045 and 056 Supers a couple of months ago all bearings and seals and new piston and jug and has been way more problematic than I expected. But the bearings are the hard part to obtain, a decent crankcase is easy on Ebay. Finally broke mine down again after thinking for months I just had carb problems when I couldn't get either of them consistently running. First one I tore down some - just to the crankcase, haven't split it again - the clutch side bearing case could have used some RTV when I installed it because while the new seals are fine, the bearing leaks around the case interface. Not super bad, and using a vacuum pump to suck Loctite in around it seems to have sealed it pretty well. Ignitions are usually a headache unless you Foggysail fix it or get a Sagenspezi aftermarket one from Germany. If it's OEM it's going to be a problem if it isn't already. Great saws if you have the patience, but not for the faint of heart.

Latest posts