Stihl 064/066 differences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Since I just traded my 038 mag for an 064, I'd like to know what the main differences, besides the displacment/power output are. I noticed the IPLs list the 066 as having a decomp valve, and the 064 not having one.

Also, aside from sending the saw to someone to have it ported, or muffler mods, what can be done to boost the power on this saw? and NO I am not gonna put a pipe on it.

Do a search. This is well covered ground. The short answer is there are plenty of differences that get more significant with newer 066s.

And not all 066s have compression releases,

Chris B.

Most (maybe all) of the 064's have the smaller 13.5mm crankshaft big end bearing. The 066 after about 1996 went to a 15mm crankshaft big end. The larger crank also went to an M10 flywheel nut where the older small version had an M8 flywheel nut. The 064 flywheel can be taken off with the flywheel puller that also works on the 044, 036, 046, etc. The newer 066 polymer flywheel uses the same flywheel puller as the 084, 088.

The 064 crankcase has a smaller flywheel oil seal area (13.5x20x4), and the generator seat screws are in closer. The newer 066 uses a 15x22x4 oil seal and the generator seat screws are out further to accomodate the larger crankshaft end and bigger oil seal.

The flywheel on the 064 has two key slots. So you have to be careful when you put the flywheel on.

There are more differences too, but those come to mind right away.

Tom

Not that it has to do with performance but a common difference is the fact that the recoil covers are different and do not interchange.

Bill

Latest posts

Back