Stihl 064AV $200 - Good buy???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I stumbled across a Stihl 064AV w/36" bar and chain for $200. It looks pretty well used (borderline rough)and I'd like to evaluate it's true mechanical condition vs. cosmetics.

Here's what I noticed:
- Bar and chain look OK
- Compression feels good
- Hand protect/chain brake is either broken off or cut off
- I noticed a couple drops of fuel leaking, but it could be a loose cap or from the vent hole.

They'll guarantee it long enough so I can go over it with a fine tooth comb and I'm fine with spending about $100 or so in parts. (new hand protect, 24" bar and chain, tune up kit, misc). Are Stihl parts super expensive??

What else should I look for? Pull the muffler and inspect the cylinder, do a compression test?

I simply want to replace my 20 year old John Deere 60V w/24" bar that must weight in at 25 lbs and it's getting heavier over time!!

The Stihl 064 would serve out it's life doing occasional stump cutting vs. continuous use, but I want it to be reliable.

Are these big old Stihl's fairly easy to restore? Are they pretty bulletproof or are they tempermental? If this thing is going to nickel and dime me to death? If so, I'd rather just save up for a 372XP or possibly a 044.

Thanks,

I have an 064. I bought it used for $175 and put a new 20" bar and chain on it 8 years ago. It had previously blown a head gasket and was traded in on a new 066. I have used mine, prior to buying an 066, with a 30" bar - no problems. You describe more wear and tear than mine had/has to this point, but that may just be from rough handling, as you say.

I find it has more compression than the 066, but that's probably in my head. I have yanked my fingers pretty good starting it, so I would recommend the Elasto-start for it.

Good used saws, especially Stihl's, are hard to find. It sounds like a deal if the carb is in good shape. I don't think you can consider the cost of the bar/chain/sprocket as part of your comparison. You need to buy things like that for any saw. A tune-up, replacement chain brake and general evaluation should run you about $100-$120. You said the bar and chain were decent, it will probably run close to another $80 to replace those when the time comes.
Since you won't be using it all day every day, it sounds like a good investment vs. $900+ for a new saw. Those old Stihls last forever.

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I will agree with the treeclimber that it isnt a saw that you will rely on all day every day. If you do, you are more than a man than me!!!

I stumbled across a Stihl 064AV w/36" bar and chain for $200. It looks pretty well used (borderline rough)and I'd like to evaluate it's true mechanical condition vs. cosmetics.

Here's what I noticed:
- Bar and chain look OK
- Compression feels good
- Hand protect/chain brake is either broken off or cut off
- I noticed a couple drops of fuel leaking, but it could be a loose cap or from the vent hole.

They'll guarantee it long enough so I can go over it with a fine tooth comb and I'm fine with spending about $100 or so in parts. (new hand protect, 24" bar and chain, tune up kit, misc). Are Stihl parts super expensive??

What else should I look for? Pull the muffler and inspect the cylinder, do a compression test?

I simply want to replace my 20 year old John Deere 60V w/24" bar that must weight in at 25 lbs and it's getting heavier over time!!

The Stihl 064 would serve out it's life doing occasional stump cutting vs. continuous use, but I want it to be reliable.

Are these big old Stihl's fairly easy to restore? Are they pretty bulletproof or are they tempermental? If this thing is going to nickel and dime me to death? If so, I'd rather just save up for a 372XP or possibly a 044.

Thanks,
This is what I like to do...open up the old pages & go back in time. Just have to get used to no pics.

Wonder where this saw is today?

Latest posts

Back