Stihl 066 - Chain moves at idle???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
When I set the idle on my 066 to where the chain doesn't move it seems too low and will gradually die. If I turn the idle speed up a tad, than it idles fine but the chain moves. (I can always set the chain brake)

Is there anything in the centrifical clutch I should be looking at?

My 066 has a modifed muffler with the baffles removed. Could this be causing the condition since it reduces engine load via backpressure?

I have a 24" bar and chain. Could the 066 just have so much power at idle to cause this condition to be normal?

It's not a major problem since I can set the brake, but I'd like to understand if I can simultaneously get proper idle speed and lack of chain movement.

Secondly has anyone had field experience with both a 066 and 046. Do you really notice the extra power of the 066 or do you notice the reduced weight of the 046???

How old is the 066? if it is old then maybe the carb is slightly gummed up or has a very small gasket leak. I wouldnt leave it idle for any long period of time with the brake on as that will accelerate clutch wear.

DAVE,ARE YOU ADJUSTING the LA SCREW AND THE LOW SPEED SCREW BOTH?TURN THE IDLE ADJUSTMENT SCREW(LA) COUNTERCLOCKWISE UNTIL CHAIN STOPS RUNNING THAN TURN THE SCREW ANOTHER 1/4 TURN IN THE SAME DIRECTION.:D dAN

Thanks, but LA is what I'm adjusting. The idle speed setting where the chain stops doesn't seem high enough for sustained idle. (the low and high speed screws seems perfect)

I could rebuild the carb if that's the likely cause, but other than this issue the saw runs great.

Sounds like the saw is leaning out at an idle. Adjust the low end to fastest idle, then richen it up till rpm's start to drop. After the low end is set, adjust the idle.
I worked for a company for a year that had an 066 that was all but new. It was ok, but after using a Husky 3120XP as my stump saw for 3 years I wasn't overly impressed with the 066.

Back