Stihl 066 Miracles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SitkaSpruce

Reaction score
An amazing thing happened the other day - my 11 yr old son returned from a garage sale with 2 Stihl 066's, which he got for free (he was looking for a engine to power his homebuilt go-cart). I was skeptical about their condition but they both fired right up after refreshing their gas. So now he's dreaming of his go-cart and I'm hoping to replace my 038 for remote milling jobs (I had always wanted a bigger saw just hesitant to spend the big bucks) - a few questions. One is an stamped as an 066 Magnum - how is it different from an 066? Also what kind of testing, overhaul, maintenance would you folks recommend? What does the button just under the top handle do and where might I get ahold of a owners manual? I have just discovered this forum since looking for info on the 066 and have found it most informative. Thanks a bunch.

Sounds too good to be true, might pay to run those serial numbers.

The button under the top handle is a decompression button, push it in when starting. Magnum series is the "ants pants" of Stihl saws, built stronger and better performance.

Those are serious saws, over here we pay $2300 new for one!

066 mag

Testing and overhaul I would say take off the muffler and look for bad scratching in the cylinder wall. Probably need a carb kit spark plug and fuel and air filter. I would say to also get some nice synthetic mix to run in it. You can go to stihlusa.com to get a free owners manual and a parts list. Thanks

Also, remove the clutch cover, and see if you can wobble the crank back and forth there, then do the same on the flywheel side, this will tell you if it needs crank bearings. for a compression test, just lift the saw up by the starter handle, if it holds steady, or falls slowly, you're ok for compression, if it falls rapidly, you need rings, and or possibly a piston.

Hello Sitka Spruce,
Your son is probably a confirmined garage saler now. That is a heck of a deal even if they are just parts saws.
The timber industry labor is so transient up there and it attracts all kinds of people from all kinds of places, that I can imagine many scenario's where a fallers saws would be left behind and lost, forgotten or never sent for.
For a city, Sitka is my favorite in Ak. Beautiful place. The airport makes you wonder if there is enough runway. :)
Have you ever seen a thirty foot double ended Bristol Bay hull named "Siempre" in the harbour? She used to be mine.

John

crap I can go to my dealer pick one up and out the door for right around a grand. I got my 066 used for 450 best saw I have ever owned.

We are so ripped off with saw prices .... all Stihls ... Aussie dollars

066 = $2300

ms460 = $1850

ms440 = $1550

ms250 = $750

ms200T = $1450

Ht75 pole pruner = $1650

Echo 350T = $650

These are relatively good prices too, a bit below recommended retail.

And when you work out that the $1.00 Australian is about 0.78 US it doesn't make sense ... apparently Stihl Australia, where all saws come in is the problem.

Could some-one post the US prices on the above. I might just email Stihl the comparison and ask why they rip us off.

I just posted 2005 stihl prices on another thread. just search 2005 stihl price.

EKKA to stop your getting ripped off I will gladly purchase a Stihl here in Canada and follow any shipping arrangements you want back to Australia.

Those prices are hyway robbery mate.

Those guys should be jailed.

The Aussie and Canadian dollars are about even.

Thanks Lobo & Timbermaster

Holy crap! Those prices are half price after converting currency.

I'm gonna have my say to those theiving mongrels. Stihl Australia sets it's pricing for the whole country, dealers all go thru the one place, well times are a changing.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Hey great info folks - really appreciated. I haven't had any time to work on the saws yet - only the drop test - picking up by pull cord - passed with flying colors - seemingly good compression. The decompression button definitely makes starting easier . . . . I will run through other tests soon I hope - looking forward to running them through some wood. Any suggestions for the ideal chain for milling with the Alaskan Mill & 32" bar - ripping or crosscut & favorite style chain - skip tooth or whatever in general.

thanks again!

Bump!

Sitka,
How did these saws work out for you? Did you get a mill? Did your son get his kart running?

SitkaSpruce said:
Hey great info folks - really appreciated. I haven't had any time to work on the saws yet - only the drop test - picking up by pull cord - passed with flying colors - seemingly good compression. The decompression button definitely makes starting easier . . . . I will run through other tests soon I hope - looking forward to running them through some wood. Any suggestions for the ideal chain for milling with the Alaskan Mill & 32" bar - ripping or crosscut & favorite style chain - skip tooth or whatever in general.

thanks again!

sitka, congrats. way to go! :clap: your son found a couple of prizes n the cracket jack box. i wondered how an 11 yo managed to move 2 066's back home? anyhow, there is more info here about saws n milling than you need. use the search engine. here is one to start on.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=29961

good day 1953greg

1953greg said:
sitka, congrats. way to go! :clap: your son found a couple of prizes n the cracket jack box. i wondered how an 11 yo managed to move 2 066's back home? anyhow, there is more info here about saws n milling than you need. use the search engine. here is one to start on.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=29961

good day 1953greg

Don't know if you noticed but the thread is over a year old..

Latest posts

Back