Stihl 066 problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jjrtd91

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok guys, I need your help on this one. I have an 066 to work on here. The saw will run, but only wide open, and will not idle without feathering the throttle. I've tried adjusting the carb, but can't keep it running long enough to do so. Also I've checked for leaks, and there aren't any. What could be the cause of this?

Carb issue is certainly suspect as mentioned above, but you might also check compression. I've seen saws with waning compression behave just like that; would run at WOT just fine, but won't stay idling on their own.

Also, newtostihl, this saw was just recently completely rebuilt
nt
Also, newtostihl, this saw was just recently completely rebuilt

Recent rebuild does not eliminate a more recent scored cyl....take nothing for granted. Have an approach and don't let "ideas" of what went wrong dissuade you. Seems to work ok in other professions.... :)

I'm having the exact same issues with a used 046 I just purchased.

Ok guys, I need your help on this one. I have an 066 to work on here. The saw will run, but only wide open, and will not idle without feathering the throttle. I've tried adjusting the carb, but can't keep it running long enough to do so. Also I've checked for leaks, and there aren't any. What could be the cause of this?
check the ignition coil.

I think the OP gave up on the 066 and went out and got himself a Husqy.

J/k ...I love the 066!

Back