Stihl 066 project saw eBay Purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carroot1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
the black outline is what i'm referring to this is not part of the oil tank?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 62
Not critical.

Build a runner/junkyard dog. It just won’t be a silk purse.

The problem with these purchases is how fast the parts add up in cost. Generally better off buying a nicer condition runner from someone because it tends to be cheaper and better in the end. Good luck on the build.
Love my junkyard dogs. "Silk purse" would be a great name for a red saw @huskihl picked up at the GTG...

My 066 Magnum is broken in the same spot...but worse than yours. It is broken out all the way up on the front. Still not into the oil tank and the saw is an awesome runner. I've cut a lot of firewood with it. Great saw! I thought about replacing that half of the crankcase....but since it is cosmetic-only I think I'll just leave it alone and run it for now. Saw runs so good I hesitate to take it apart!

Thanks for the replies! Over this past summer I bought my first set of stihl chainsaws. All of them were blown up, a 025, ms310, and recently and 036 pro. I enjoy rebuilding these saws for fun and thats what I hope to do with this one.

I watched that one to the end and almost bid as I have to many projects currently. I have had at least 20 064/066/MS660 saws. I always start at the bottom and work to the top then the left side and then the right when putting back in shape. If the bottom has problems (spun bearing, bad crank, need bearings, seals, want hold pressure/vacuum crack possibly, then I need to decide if it is a parts saw or worth fixing.. If the bottom is good then on to the top. A new piston or rings and does the cylinder need replacing or will it clean up if transfer on it. Left side is flywheel good and coil and then on to the right side and if everything else is pretty good the cost can add up here: oil pump, sprocket, bar chain etc if needed. On the bottom you can take a dremel and square up some of the chips and JB Weld to smooth off and then paint and aply a good coating of gas oil resistant sealer. Buying those old saws are a gamble. If everything checks out fairly good usually in 2-3 hours I can one of those in good shape, shined up and ready to go.
s-l1600.jpg

Here is one I just got done with that everything is in great shape now that looked worse than yours to start with

0UTA2vu.jpg

Doing some work
First took the carb off and cleaned it got it running seems to run good! :)
uIJxNfv

After that painted recoil cover - probably going to clear it after seeing how easy it comes off
Lastly did a little scrubbing and cleaned the plastics

More stuff to come:

Buy oem cover for the sprocket
Oem Badge and magnum sticker
Cleaning
More paint on the cases

Doing some work
First took the carb off and cleaned it got it running seems to run good! :)
uIJxNfv

After that painted recoil cover - probably going to clear it after seeing how easy it comes off
Lastly did a little scrubbing and cleaned the plastics

More stuff to come:

Buy oem cover for the sprocket
Oem Badge and magnum sticker
Cleaning
More paint on the cases

Try to clean things BEFORE taking apart. But it looks purty now!

Cover and badge won't run better. $ave money for a new chain........

Try to clean things BEFORE taking apart. But it looks purty now!

Cover and badge won't run better. $ave money for a new chain........

absolutely! This is just some quick stuff I did this weekend. I plan to take it all apart again and run it through my parts cleaner. Is it normal for the cylinder not to be stamped with the Stihl logo but Mahle?

Latest posts

Back